Post your CAC coins!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Perhaps we need a thread where we can see some examples of what the CAC thinks are good for the grade. At the very least, this should yield some interesting discussions. So let's see your CAC coins guys. I will start with this 1942 Jefferson Nickel NGC PF66 CAMEO

Fluorescent Lighting

[​IMG]

Diffused Lighting

[​IMG]

Let's see em and discuss em!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrekowjr

rrekowjr Member

First off, sorry I have no coins to post but I do have some questions. So from what I have read here on the Forums, CAC certifies that they agree with the ratings given to certified coins right? And from what you have taught me Lehigh, PCGS tends to be a little lenient when it comes to giving a coin a FS designation right? How does CAC respond to PCGS Full Step designated coins?

Thanks!
    Raul

swamp yankee and gijoe76 like this.
  4. Lehigh96

I asked that question to CAC before purchasing the coin shown above because as you know, without the CAMEO designation, the coin loses most of it's value. The CAC's response to my inquiry was that a CAC sticker indicates that they agree with all CAMEO and strike designations assigned by the TPG. The CAC does not apply to the star designation for eye appeal.

However, since the only Jefferson Nickels the CAC will accept are the proof issues from 1938-1942, the full step designation with regards to the CAC is a moot issue. Having said that, I have seen a business strike Jefferson Nickel with a CAC sticker. I guess they forgot that they don't accept them, or they make exceptions for the varieties. Here is a link to the coin I am referring to:

1943-P Doubled Eye Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS66 FS CAC

GoldFinger1969, mlov43 and imrich like this.
  5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

gijoe76 likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

7. TexasJarhead

TexasJarhead Junior Member

Here's my only CAC coin, bought for my type set. I'm not a fan of CAC and don't specifically look for CAC coins, nor do I turn a coin down because it has a CAC sticker. This coin was available, I wanted it, so I bought it.

[​IMG]

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

This coin shows incredible luster for a Capped Bust Quarter; they're notoriously tough to find. The obverse photo doesn't do justice to the luster. The reverse photo shows it much better, particularly around the top legend.

Attached Files:

john65999, swamp yankee and gijoe76 like this.
  9. TexasJarhead

Very nice. What is that going from the eagle's right wing to the "E"? Die break?

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

What does "CAC" stand for? Been out of the hobby for a while. Thanks

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

swamp yankee and gijoe76 like this.
  12. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

It is difficult to know what to choose for this thread. In my experience, CAC favors original surfaces. However, beyond that, there is no one "look" so I can only give examples (the first one stickered after it was imaged).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe another thread could be coins that failed to sticker and speculations as to why they didn't.

13. TexasJarhead

I've always wondered what percentage of submitted coins were stickered, and what percentage weren't. That would be some interesting information.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think I have a couple. Will have to look for them tonight.

Nice batch of coins.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

One of the last coins I bought. PF64
    [​IMG]

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Like Mr. Breakdown, I think a thread entitled "Post your rejected CAC coins!" would be even more educational (and heated).

Snide comment aside ( :) ), here are a pair I've not posted in a while, and I suspect the OP may enjoy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...that graded 20 and 45 respectively.

17. coop

coop Senior Member

Looks like a clash from the obverse.

swamp yankee likes this.
  18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My Favorite CAC

1856 2.jpg 1856_slab.jpg My CAC-Low mintage of just 26,010 coins. Bright with some remaining luster

19. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I love Washington Quarters, but this is my only CAC approved example.

1956 25c Obv closeup v2.jpg

1956 25c rev closeup v2.jpg

1956 25c Obv slab v2.jpg

20. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

21. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    john65999, MKent, fish4uinmd and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted