Post your best / worst / funniest numismatic communications

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

In our hobby we encounter a wide variety of characters. In this thread post your memorable communications. These could be ebay messages, something heard at a show, or whatever else you feel fits! These messages could be something funny, sad, weird, witty, wise, etc...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll start with 3 "cases"

1. I'm not here to make you money.
    This involves multiple people on ebay contacting me and asking for a better price. That's ok; everyone wants a deal and I can reduce some items if I want to move the funds into a new collecting area. What makes me :banghead: is when these same people respond to me lowering the price with something as follows:

I can't make money selling this to my clients!

Well am I here to help you make money (response not sent :happy:)?

2. The sad story.
    I had a person contact me via ebay asking to lower a price on a coin. Ok, I'm reasonable and willing to deal. This person however decided to be creative. The message paraphrased as follows:

Hello, I really like that mouse coin (Australian Year of the Mouse)! I have a friend whose nickname is "Minnie" and she'd love that coin. She has cancer and I'd really like to give it to her. Can you take 50% off?

This one touched me. Just like many others, I've had family affected by cancer and I am empathetic. However, using that to get 50% off a coin just seems slimy and disingenuous. I replied to this person wishing my best thoughts and suggesting they do something more personal for their friend that does not involve spending money on a coin.

3. There is still hope!
    Yes there is! I had a buyer offer $110 on a $220 item via the best offer feature. Most of the time these are just lowballers that disappear when one counters at a reasonable price. Still I decided to test my luck. I replied to the offer with a $210 counter and a "friendly" jibe asking whether the person may have had a typo and really meant to offer $210. Oddly enough, they accepted the $210 counter, paid in a timely manner, and left positive feedback! They didn't ever message me, so I don't know if it really was a typo or the person was just embarrassed enough by the reply to their first offer. I will be an optimist and assume this really was a nice ebayer!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Traci, TheFinn, JPeace$ and 4 others like this.
  4. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Really, these are everyday features..

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

So we all should have plenty to post then! :D

pghpanthers2 likes this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Really? I hate when the 1st person to comment says something negative. Especially after typing out a long, well thought out post. Add that to the list

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    baseball21, Beefer518 and ddddd like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

I encounter ALL kinds at the flea market.
    One of the more memorable ones-

I acquired a small cache of coal scrip tokens. You cant just walk into a coin shop and purchase these most of the time plus they are cool imo. So anyway i had them in my display case at the flea, and some hillbilly walks up. So he acquires about a few of them and i could see a smirk on his face as i was giving him the prices. (Like $3-$5 each)
    He starts laughing and says man, down in west virginia you can get these for 10 cent apiece. I looked up at him, and said well its a damn good thing im selling these in Ohio then huh?? :confused:

Traci, -jeffB, JPeace$ and 5 others like this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I was selling an 1889-S Morgan in MS63 and an AU Seated Dollar to a dealer. I quoted him $500 on the Morgan and $1000 on the Seated (a bit better date). He asked if he could take the coins to his table to look at the Grey Sheet, which wasn't a problem because I knew him. He came back and said he could only pay $900 for the Seated and $600 for the Morgan. I told him I could do that. Another dealer friend that was standing behind him looked at me with a look on his face like either he had missed something.

9. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

too many.

10. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

back off

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That one's hilarious!

ddddd likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just read a lot of the CT posts. They have everything one could ask for. :)

Galen59 likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

@mlov43 I thought the above was perfect for this thread, so I added it for you!

mlov43 likes this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

:troll::joyful::wacky:Im sorry, i couldnt resist.....

baseball21, mlov43 and ddddd like this.
  15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I love the locations of his 'architects' : "London, New York, Milan, Barcelona"

...more like, "Grandma's Basement, Cinder-Block Shelf, Dusty Water-leak Stained Wall"

mikenoodle and ddddd like this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What I'm wondering is why he needs so many offices for one person. :)

ddddd likes this.
  18. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

And not a bathroom to be found for the 'employees'....

where's he been lately, anyway?

ddddd likes this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Pricing toilets,and a good non union plummer.....

ddddd likes this.
  20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Maybe not a "communication" per-se, but a comic "relays a message," right?
    Not exactly very kosher by today's standards, but this is a comic from a 1960s error-coin numismatic rag:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.07.28 PM.png

Hommer and ddddd like this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Let sleeping dogs lie, puuuhhhleez

Beefer518 and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted