Post your Architecture in Rome coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Yes I will take another photo of it, as that is the dealers low quality I will post later.

Pishpash likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

I hope this is not to big I took a few and this seemed the better out of the large ones, the specks are actually in toning which makes the photoes look like it has been sandblasted. It is a smooth surface with temple columns and roof highlighted silver. 20160720_134739.jpg

Carthago, mcwyler, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Maybe this one might be better Pishpash 20160720_140401.jpg

Carthago, Orfew, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think Pish was asking because of what look like casting "pearls" on both sides of your coin. It does look suspicious. :(

6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

It does rather. How sure are you that this coin is OK?

7. Ancient Aussie

I can't be completely sure but it very smooth where the speckles are if they were pearls from cast you should be able to feel a bit of porousness it just looks like the toning is not consistent. Next time I am at a dealers I will get them to check it out, thanks for your concern TIF & Pishpash.

Pishpash and TIF like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, this site has some fantastic coin-personalities and some absolutely amazing coin examples!! (you guys rock!!)

I'm more of an animal dude, but my dear ol dad was an architect so I definitely appreciate these cool coin-offerings ..... ummm, I only have a very few humble examples to toss into your sweet thread, Ancient Aussie

1800 Century.jpg max deal.jpg Sextus Pompey.jpg Tiberius Emerita.jpg Volusian a.jpg Volusian b.jpg

=> great coins, gang

Carthago, Orfew, Theodosius and 12 others like this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

I like all five of them, that type of Maxentius is the sort I am after as it is a bit more interesting than just the plain temple ones. And you just can't beat an ancient lighthouse great rendering of Juno temple better than my one and damn it you got an Emerita with windows in the towers........why hasn't mine got them?

stevex6 likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Here is my Juno temple and couple of others. 2015-01-07 01.08.08-2.jpg 138_large_5fa83f3c59ed37da41c7f44a378a0def.jpg 7b2ZTQ9km5BqNJa8W6yw4tcSD3LpeK.jpg 2015-01-07 01.07.44-5.jpg 2015-01-07 01.07.48-7.jpg 007487_l.jpg

Orfew, Alegandron, Cucumbor and 9 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:wideyed: I am unfamiliar with this coin but want one badly now!! Can you post the full attribution for the Elagabalus?

12. Ancient Aussie

That top one reminds me of some of the coins in Holding history current auction in the British section, stevex6 brace yourself for this there is a PIG and a couple of nice York castles.

stevex6 likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Sigh, 15 minutes too slow... and now queueing behind the Coin Princess again.

14. Ancient Aussie

I love the 3/4 view buildings as you can see, I won this on Pecunem auction 2 about 3 years ago......It is Moesia Inferior. Nicopolis. Elagabel. (218 - 222). Ae. AMNG I 1982. I have seen one on ROMA website a while ago. 138_large_5fa83f3c59ed37da41c7f44a378a0def.jpg

Orfew, Alegandron, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Dibs on the next one :D

I thought the portrait looked familiar. I also have a bronze of him from Nikopolis ad Istrum-- looks like they might share an obverse die?

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR. Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Elagabalus , CE 218-222
    AE 26 mm, 11.1 gm
    Obv: AYT K M AYP ANTΩNEINOC. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPON. River-god reclining right, holding branch; prow at side
    Ref: Varbanov 4055
    ex Falter Collection, Nature Gods

Orfew, Alegandron, Cucumbor and 9 others like this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

Yes your obv. legend is the same as mine but I am yet to see one of this type where you can read the whole legend.

TIF likes this.
  17. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I think you're absolutely correct. The bust features are identical and the individual letters of the legend line up precisely the same to both the bust and each other (look at N and E in ANTWNE... for example). Interesting catch.

Ancient Aussie and TIF like this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Anyone got any architecture on hills or mountains they are interesting as in the case of Mount Gerizim as ruins are still there, unfortunately I believe the Zeugma area is underwater. 5Zwpce4NDJf9xR72Mzp2r64GbB8bF3.jpg 103265-1.jpeg

Cucumbor, Orfew, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Julia Soaemias 218-222
    Roman Provincial AE 22
    Sebaste, Samaria
    21.4 mm; 12.48 gm
    SVAEMIAS AVGVSTA SEB
    Bare-headed and draped bust, r.
    COL L SE BASTE
    Temple of the Capitoline Jupiter with four columns; Jupiter standing in center between Athena and Hera. Wreath within pediment.
    Rosenberger-36 (die match)

Soemias Sebaste.jpg

stevex6, TIF, Bing and 9 others like this.
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Caracalla & Julia Domna
    AE27 Pentassarion
    Moesia Inferior, Markianopolis. Magistrate Quintillus.
    ANTΩNINOC AVΓOVCTOC IOVΛIA DOMNA, confronted busts of Caracalla and Julia Domna.
    VΠ KVNTIΛIANOV MARKIANOΠOΛITΩN, tetrastyle temple with peaked roof, statue of Serapis within holding hand upraised & sceptre, ͼ to left.
    Moushmov-508; AMNG-688; BMC 3, 30, 19.
    Caracalla and Domna Markianopolis.jpg

stevex6, Bing, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I forgot to post this Circus Maximus coin :)

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
    ex Colosseo Collection

stevex6, Eduard, icerain and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted