Post your Architecture in Rome coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice Milvian very good coin. 6Dkng5YoNzb83cX2Lsa9L7Mi4Psbm2.jpg

dlhill132, stevex6, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Roman architecture would not be complete without a couple of Vesta temples. 4krW6Qp56adAw7MyxBf83cJjwb2GY9.jpg 5nARdWa2y6MgJSk4L86s9HgQm3PLNE.jpg

4. Ancient Aussie

And of course Trajan the master builder of the Roman Empire.
    A sestertius and denarius of his column and probably the temple that sat nearby. 20355a.jpg 2015-01-07 01.07.50-5.jpg 2015-01-07 01.08.10-4.jpg

5. Ancient Aussie

I almost forgot my Gordian III a Deultum temple. W4k62cXab3gC4SJj37nALyE98Bejf5.jpg

6. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Even though Claudius was the emperor who started the project on the Port of Ostia, Nero (like any typical politician) took credit for it since it was finished during his reign:

6b - Nero AE sestertius.jpg

NERO
    AE Sestertius (26.56 g.) Lugdunum circa 65 A.D. RIC 441
    NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P Laureate head of Nero left. Rev. PORT AVG Port of Ostia, river Tiber reclining below.

Claudius also honored the Praetorian guard who had elevated him to Emperor following Caligula's assassination, with a reverse of the wall enclosing the praetorian camp:

5d - Claudius AV aureus.jpg

CLAUDIUS 10 B.C. - 54 A.D.
    AV Aureus (7.79 g.) Rome 44 - 45 A.D. RIC 25
    Obv. TI CLAVD CAESAR AVG P M TR P IIII laureate head r. Rev. Battlemented wall IMPER RECEPT enclosing praetorian camp, Fides Praetorianorum left.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

So many wonderful coins! I've got nothing...camp gates and a city gate.

8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Just remembered I have pics of these guys:

Phil (119).JPG
    Phil (120).JPG

Orfew, Theodosius, dlhill132 and 17 others like this.
  9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Nice coins.

Any chance you could enlighten the uninformed among us (starting with me) as to the architectural item on the reverse?

Volodya likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, me as well.

Volodya likes this.
  11. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

They're both coins of C. Coelius Caldus, struck in 51 BC; Crawford 437/2a and 437/4a respectively. The reverse obviously depicts a figure seated at a lofty lectisternium. Lol; I had to look it up myself. A lectisternium is a propitiatory meal offered to the gods, so the central "platform" is simply a ceremonial table or couch. I've learned something here too, because I always took it as a public platform of some sort. I guess these don't quite fit the architectural theme after all; I should have held them back for a home furnishings thread!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

and here's my example of this type! The first Imperatorial coin I ever purchased, bought from Joel Malter for $55, longer ago than I care to remember. For a long time this lived in my "reject" box because of its obvious flaws, but at some point I realized that I'm quite fond of it and would never sell it, even if I found a reasonable upgrade (I haven't), so it graduated to a place in my grownup trays.

Phil (169).JPG

Orfew, Theodosius, dlhill132 and 14 others like this.
  13. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Even when you were just starting out you had good taste. Joel was my dad's dealer from the 1960's until he retired or his son took over. I bought a complete run of Malter FPL's and catalogues plus all of his NFA Journal for my dad's 80th birthday in October. He will be delighted and I'm sure it will stir some memories for him.

Volodya likes this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'll give you $60 plus shipping for it. That way you make a profit, heh?

I'm sure he will be delighted. Good son!

Jwt708, Volodya and TIF like this.
  15. Ancient Aussie

I have a few silver ones here with various buildings the first one is the senate house Curia Julia with a bit broken of, I think the silver was to soft when struck splaying the flan out and thinning it. 560_large_4c29983d26c06c4cbc8c12a42a771dc9.jpg Then below is Villa Publica 55BC 55 BC republic Villa Publica.jpg The temple of Jupiter circa 80BC 78 BC Jupiter temple.jpg Faustina temple circa 140 AD 2015-01-07 01.07.44-10.jpeg And the temple of Augustus and Livia. 2015-01-07 01.07.44-7.jpeg

Eduard, Orfew, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow! I'm really blown away by the stellar coins in this thread.

Titus struck the Colosseum in bronze. He struck the Temple of Capitoline Jupiter in silver.

T515a.jpg
    Titus
    AR Cistophorus
    Rome mint (for Asia), 80-81 AD
    RIC 515 (R), BMC spec. acquired 1948, RSC - , RPC 860 (3 spec.)
    Obv - IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CAPIT across field, RESTIT in exergue; Temple of Capitoline Jupiter with 4 columns enclosing figures of Juno, seated Jupiter and Minverva

Orfew, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 11 others like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

I would love one of them, great coin.

David Atherton and Pishpash like this.
  18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Forgot my Trajan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Eduard, Orfew, Theodosius and 12 others like this.
  19. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

20. Ancient Aussie

And if everyone is not sick of looking at architecture by now this should finish them of, starting with Nero Janus temple and then some PIUS Sestertius 2015-01-07 01.07.50-19.jpg $_59.jpg $_58.jpg oC8XG6tY7dABxN4E9fDc5Zy2Tw56p2.jpeg 1000-34-189.jpg 5GdjYf9n6bNRJm8y3ZmXHK7fEoQ4FT.jpg 1000-30-106.jpg .

Attached Files:

Orfew, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 10 others like this.
  21. Ancient Aussie

Everybodies favorite........

Pishpash likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted