Post Your Ancient Coins!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CBJesse, Sep 20, 2012.

1. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

I was looking around, and could find a thread like this so I thought would start one (sorry if there is already one).

Post your ancient coins here!! Also if you have some hammered coins to show I'd love to see those too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

You ought to post a few at least, Mat :)
    Here are couple of mine, and there is a link to my gallery in my sig. if you wana see some more

Attached Files:

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

[​IMG]
    ROME. temp. Hadrian-Antoninus Pius. Circa AD 120-161
    Æ Quadrans (16mm, 2.94 g, 7h)
    Rome mint
    Petasus
    Winged caduceus; S C flanking
    Weigel 18; RIC II 32; Cohen 36

Weigel reconsiders the anonymous quadrantes as a cohesive group. The series portrays a pantheon of eleven deities: Jupiter, Minerva, Roma, Neptune, Tiber, Mars, Venus, Apollo, Mercury, Bacchus/Liber, and Hercules. Types are primarily a portrait of the god, with an attribute on the reverse and are usually influenced by (but not directly copied from) earlier designs, primarily from the Republic. He updates the series to the reigns of Hadrian and Antoninus.

And one from my specialty:

[​IMG]

ROME​. Circa 1st-3rd century AD.
    PB Tessera (14mm, 2.03 g, 12 h)
    Mercury standing facing, holding bag and caduceus
    Clasped hands
    Rostowzew 2677

Larry E likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

7. thecoin

thecoin New Member

when were ancient coins minted in squares?

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

9. CBJesse

Wow! Those are all some beautiful coins, and thank you for posting Dougsmit, your website will be extremely helpful in the expansion of my knowledge on ancient coins.

10. CBJesse

This forum is so full of helpful people.

11. thecoin

thecoin New Member

whats this? sorry about the bad pics, took w/ ipad ancient.jpg ancient2.jpg

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Noah Finney and Larry E like this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice :)

Heres my attempt to mimic Cucumber

Attached Files:

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many ancient coins of India and nearby regions that were squares, rectangles or other unround shapes.

Indiana from India?
    128791774.jpg

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice one doug

My "square" coin.
    [​IMG]
    POST-MAURIYAN SUNGA DYNASTY AE ½ KARSHAPANA Era: 185-75 BC.
    Obverse: Bull, elephant, swastika and staff symbols.
    Reverse: Hill, cross and tree symbols.
    Weight:3.1 gms.
    Dimension: 14 x 15 mm.
    Reference: MACW-4348.

16. thecoin

thecoin New Member

17. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thracian lion circa 480 BC. ;)

Larry E likes this.
  18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are my two best ancient coins. They are not particularly rare but I think the two type coins are about as famous & recognizable as they get.

The first is the Athena/Owl Tetradrachm from Athens Greece. It was issued & used in large quantity to pay for the Peloponnesian war. I bought it without anyone’s recommendation here at CT. It was the first coin on the first page listed in a Daniel Sedwick auction. I figured since it was being viewed by virtually everyone that logged onto the auction and it was offered by a most reputable seller, that it must be real. When I received it, the holder indicated that it was from Birr’s estate so I was very happy & content that it is a genuine, well centered & attractive coin in hand. I’m a happy camper. Here is the thread where I first posted this one: http://www.cointalk.com/t171716/

The second is the Athena/Pegasos Stater from Corinth Greece. It depicts Athena wearing the Corinthian helmet on one side and it has Pegasos on the other side. In retrospect, it was the style of the Pegasos and the little dolphin that originally drew me to the coin. It was sold to me by a reputable dealer and was allegedly a plate coin in an old Christies' Catalog. It may not be the highest grade I could afford but I liked “the look” of the coin. Again, I am a happy camper. Here is the thread where I first posted this one: http://www.cointalk.com/t192557/

There is much to learn about ancients from the experts and other collectors here at CT. If the ancient coins I like weren’t so darn expensive nowadays, I would be posting more new purchases here.

These two coins are definitely the two oldest coins in my collection.

Attached Files:

19. CBJesse

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the beautiful Owl?

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I just sent you a PM with pricing information. You might search for other threads here at CT for "owl" and you will find many exmples with different centerring, strike, surface, test marks, etc. It is a common coin and the prices are all over the spectrum (see my PM).

21. thecoin

thecoin New Member

send me a pm to about it please, curious

Draft saved Draft deleted