Post yor VAMs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dwhiz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'll start 001a-horz.jpg

Ana Silverbell likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I see what the holder says, but what is the actual mint mark on the coin ? Looks more like a D than an S.

4. dwhiz

Here's the mint mark 78S Mint mark.jpg

5. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification dwhiz. And thank you for this thread. I have quite a few Morgan's and know very little about VAM's, so I will look forward at the thread results for VAM conditions. Starting with your 1878-S RIB.

Dave

loopytoad74 likes this.
  6. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Here's an 1878-S VAM-27 that I got a while back in a set I bought. Some of the other marker are hard to see or can't be seen anymore in such circulated condition. If you catch it just right you can see the broken denticle above the "S" in states on the reverse and you can also see the defect in the left wing.

I have a few other that I'll have to dig out and get some pictures of sometime.

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-S+VAM-27

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Broken "D" in Dollar
    [​IMG]
    Broken "N" in United
    [​IMG]
    Long Nock
    [​IMG]

Ana Silverbell and dwhiz like this.
  7. dwhiz

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have a few somewhere. ;)

Here's an 1878 VAM 9. First Morgan die pair. Struck around 3:15 pm on March 11, 1878.

[​IMG]

9. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

My favorite is 1882-CC VAM-3C doubled date & ear, clashed Obverse n & s, die break above Phrygian cap. Discovery 2009. (Info from vamworld.) Just a lot going on. Hope you enjoy. Sorry I am not a better photographer.

Attached Files:

loopytoad74 and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted