Post the most amazing error coin you have seen

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Arnold Z, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Arnold Z

Arnold Z New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Arnold Z
    Do you own it?
    Are we posting Mint Errors that we own or any we have seen. There are like hundreds of amazing Mint Errors anyone can posts..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

why is this so amazing to you ? just because it is a silver planchet ? it's ok I guess.

Robert91791 likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I don't have the photo at hand right now. The most amazing I ever saw is @Fred Weinberg cent with a machine screw struck into it.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm not Fred.. But I held both Cents with screws struck into them!
    20180814_141921.jpg 20180814_141934-1.jpg 20180814_141846-1.jpg

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I was a able to get a pic of this from last years World's Fair in Denver. It was a bit out of my price range.
    20170804_132045.jpg
    Notice the normal sized slab above it.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This thread reminds me of the allstate insurance advertisements, I would sell and buy an actual mint error.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, all had a lot of "help" being made and leaving the mint, huh?

12. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

.....and your point is ?

13. medoraman

No offense meant sir. My point would be I find errors the mint struck on ACCIDENT to be moderately interesting, and own a few. Intentional errors I find boring and insulting to be honest. A mint employee STOLE government property, (or even if he reimbursed the mint for face value (unlikely)), he misused government property on purpose.

I simply find that offensive both as a taxpayer as well as a war veteran sir. I never thought of sneaking government issued material home to sell at a profit under the table to someone else. These errors from the 60's and 70's mainly, (though have happened over many periods, never forget 1913 nickels are the same), I simply do not collect for these reasons. Of course its not provable now, I am not saying they should be impounded, just saying I do not need to spend my hobby money rewarding such actions against our government.

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It is a sad commentary on society that errors such as these reach the pinnacle
    of value due to the simply fact that some people can Dupe other people, and create a desire to own them and they become a Status Symbol.
    Status = when you buy things you don't need to impress people you don't like.

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

No offense taken whatsoever.

I'm sure the owner's of the 1913 Nickels,
    and other similar items, are happy to
    collect what they like, just like Mint Error
    collectors.

"To each his own;
    it's all unknown"

dwhiz, Evan8 and medoraman like this.
  16. medoraman

Of course sir. All personaly preferences, and those are simply mine is all. Same can also be said of tons of coins, patterns, etc.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Does anyone know, read discovery article, or can guess how it "Bonded" together and how anyone knows it was struck within the US mint, and escaped to the wild? I thought bronze bearings were used because they didn't interact much with steel shafts under pressure. Jim

18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

1942 Lincoln cent struck on type 1 blank, Broadstruck on Obverse, Struck "in" collar on reverse.
    20180921_234212.jpg 20180921_234227.jpg DSC05691.JPG

GriffonK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted