Post that ONE coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverhouse, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

you bought after either a life changing event, be it happy, sad, traumatic or whatever the major event may be. I must say within the last year things for me have become extremely difficult. Now I am a single father. So without getting all sappy and too personal, lets just say at my age I am having to start all over again with a five year old. But I must say, in the midst of my troubles, these last three days have been the best out of this whole ride... so to speak. So, I wanted to mark this occasion with a coin. Something to remind me that it was the beginning of things going good. It's been a long difficult - how can I say.. Life didn't just toss me lemons, it tried to throw me overboard several times. So with that.. I decided on my birth year Silver Blue Ike. I had to sell my entire coin collection. Which was fine, because my family was more important. This will be my pocket piece. I'll most likely keep it sealed though. Anyways, if you wish to post your coin and tell your story, that would be great. IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1340.JPG

CircCam, robec, dwhiz and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I Call This One 'THE' Coin

[​IMG]

That story tells how that coin played a tiny part in my own new beginning (which was a reboot after my life had come crashing down in pieces three years before).

@Silverhouse - I've hit rocks in the road before myself. Sometimes the rocks were boulders. Sometimes they landed on top of me. Sometimes I foolishly beat my own head upon them. So I can sympathize all too well with your woes. Between 1994 and 1996 I faced de facto bankruptcy, lived in a house with the utilities shut off after my (then-) wife left and took our son (before the house itself was foreclosed upon by the bank), I lost a couple of jobs, got a divorce, then finally had to give up in NC and left for GA, where I had to move in with my father and stepmother at the age of 30. Those are only some of the challenges I faced.

Nor can I claim it was my own strength of character that got me through. Family was a godsend.

Keep your chin up, man. I'll say a short prayer for you.

You may be a single father, but though that's challenging, at least you have that opportunity. After the geographic separation I mentioned, my ex-wife remarried and took the opportunity to sever my five-year-old son from me and my family completely. We would not see him again until he grew up.

So at least you've got that.

New beginnings are chaotic and often painful. But they're worth it in the long run. Stay the course, weather the storms, and destiny will likely steer you into safe harbor on other shores one day.

A new life often turns out better than the old one would have been.

When I got laid of in the 2008 recession, it was tough, but since I had been through much worse experiences 12-13 years earlier, I survived that OK, too. In fact, I retrained in my career field, and am today in a position I'm much happier to work in than the one I was let go from in 2008.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- I've sold my entire collection (not counting those detector finds) at least three, maybe four times in the past forty years.

Sort of the way the layoff caused me to retrain in my career, or how forest fires are sometimes beneficial to the ecosystem, that too can be a "blessing in disguise". A rebuilt collection is often better than the one it replaces.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. Silverhouse

Thank you. I appreciate that. With each milestone achieved will come a coin. At least I hope so.

dwhiz and Rick Stachowski like this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I purchased this coin to Honor my Mother Passing on Labor Day 2016, she was 74 year old .
    Rest In Peace Mom and I'll see you in the Heavens one day ....

upload_2017-7-12_15-48-43.jpeg upload_2017-7-12_15-49-15.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-49-48.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-50-10.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-50-34.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-50-54.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-51-26.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-51-53.jpeg

upload_2017-7-12_15-52-27.jpeg
    FS-101 .......

CircCam and dwhiz like this.
  7. Silverhouse

That is a very nice coin. My grandfather still has a complete set of circulated Franklins still. Got them all at face value.

Rick Stachowski and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted