Post some tickets!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by north49guy, May 9, 2010.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Time to bump this thread back up. Here's one I got in today's mail -- this is from the convention where FDR was first nominated as a candidate. I also have one from 1936, that I think I posted earlier in the thread. I'm thinking I might try to pick up all four Dem conventions where Roosevelt was the candidate.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I like these political tickets and see them for sale here and there, but so far haven't picked up any yet. I do have some old campaign buttons from this era but nothing else. Nice pickup gsalexan.

Bruce

4. gsalexan

This one was engraved by Quayle & Son, a New York commercial bank note firm that was around in the 1930s-50s. They were eventually purchased by U.S. Bank Note Corp. I'll repost the 1936 ticket that they also produced and one from the 1948 Republican convention by E.A. Wright Bank Note.

Attached Files:

5. BRandM

Looking forward to seeing them gsalexan.

Bruce

6. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

gsalexan, I am enjoying those FDR tickets! Have you noticed if they were plentiful, or did you have to search for ones such as these?

7. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

surf-the-web.gif still looking for one right now

8. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Where's Doug?
    Shouldn't he have posted a ticket to the first Olympics by now?
    Or the dinosaur gladiator show?
    I mean I know they were made out of rocks, but I'm sure they still look cool. lol :D :D

9. BRandM

Quiet lincolncent, he's taking his afternoon nap.:D

Bruce

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I dont' think he saved his from there lol

11. gsalexan

I've seen the 1936 tickets more than once on eBay, but this was the first 1932 I've seen. I've found images of the 1940 and 1944 tickets, but have not seen them for sale. Quayle & Son also produced the 1940 tickets, but unfortunately the 1944 was not intaglio printing. It's interesting that three out of the four conventions were held in Chicago.

12. BRandM

If I may ask gsalexan, what do these type of tickets usually sell for...just a ballpark figure for nice ones like yours. Thanks.

Bruce

13. gsalexan

If you're patient, you can probably get these on ebay for $10-15. If you want to Buy It Now, I've seen them for $25-30. And I was wrong -- after a little searching I found 1932 and 1940 tickets pop up frequently. As you get back into the 1910-20s expect to add 50 percent in price, and those in 1880-90s get into the $50-100 range.

14. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Thanks again for the info gsalexan! It would be nice to have some around, even if just for conversation pieces.

15. gsalexan

I managed to pick up a 1940 ticket on eBay for $10! You'll understand why, when you see the condition. But in this case, I find the punches and the scribbling enhances its history. This ticket was issued to a "Special Appointee" and was good only with an additional badge. The holder of this ticket clearly came and went a number of times during the convention. What was his mission? I can only use my imagination, but this piece of paper has a story to tell.

Attached Files:

16. gsalexan

I don't know how I missed this when I posted it last year, but the eagle on my Senate Chamber pass was lifted from the back of the 1882 $100 National. Good excuse to bump this thread back up.
    (click here to jump back to the earlier post: http://www.cointalk.com/t107131-3/#post1209920)

Attached Files:

17. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Very nice gsalexan! Love it!

18. gsalexan

Picked up an interesting item to go with my set of Senate and House gallery passes -- a pass to the White House, from 1943. The background image of the White House is intaglio engraved, no doubt by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
    Actual size is 4 x 2.5".

I Googled Michael Trachtenberg, the recipient. He was a Russian exchange student (back when the Soviets were allies) from the University of Missouri. He convinced Mrs. Roosevelt to come visit and speak at the school in Feb. 1943. She apparently returned the favor and invited him to visit the following month.

Any other interesting tickets out there?

Attached Files:

19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The Gandy Bridge linking Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties (Tampa & St.Petersburg) was a private enterprise and opened November 1924. It cut travel time by half a day. Original toll fees were .75 cents for an automobile and driver and an additional .10 cents for each passenger. The bridge stopped collecting tolls in April 1944. I was lucky to find someone that actually kept their toll ticket. My toll ticket is dated December 7th 1930, and is for .95 cents. Probably an automobile with driver and two passengers. The back of the toll ticket has advertising for Kendall Motor Oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BJBII, midas1, Dave M and 3 others like this.
  20. gsalexan

Cool bit of history! It's the stuff everyone throws away that becomes the hardest to find.

21. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Complete set of some RR tickets that were also accepted at times as currency along the train route.

Attached Files:

midas1 and gsalexan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted