Post some tickets!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by north49guy, May 9, 2010.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

here's one of many tickets i have... this one is my favorite! :D

GEDC3815.JPG

Galen59 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Dang you swish, I'm an Oakland A's fan!!

Nice ticket though and thanks for sharing. Wish I could have gone to any of those games.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have most if not all of my concert tickets, but mine are slightly more contemporary - U2, Metallica, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses, Queensryche, Savatage. That shared, I wouldn't have minded seeing Steppenwolf or Jimi. Curiously enough - most of my concert memories are a bit hazy just like some of the testimonies above. But then we had a saying, if you could remember it - it wasn't good.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

There are some nice tickets shown on this thread. Some of these will take you back to the 70's & 80's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

midas1 likes this.
  6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Here's a few I have, both railroad tickets:
    $(KGrHqMOKiME12+CulP4BNp5uB)uHQ~~_12edited.jpg $(KGrHqIOKpcE19IhCD6MBNp5uWdMm!~~_12edited.jpg
    1873 fare ticket for the South Carolina Rail Road Co. "Good for the fare of one passenger twenty-five miles, Charleston, SC July 1st 1873"

$(KGrHqJ,!mIE2EW0cs8OBNq2)10bP!~~_12.JPG
    1862 Western and Atlantic RR voucher (25 cents)

midas1 likes this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Lottery Ticket 1758, Signed by William Pepperell

Maine was not one of the original thirteen colonies, in fact, until 1820 Maine was the northern part of the State of Massachusetts. Some of the earliest colonial settlements in North America were actually in Maine, the Popham Colony was founded in 1607 by the Plymouth company but would fail with the colonists returning to England in 1608. In contrast to the colonial settlement in Jamestown Virginia in 1607, there was only one recorded death of a colonist. In 1652 Maine was created as a province of the Massachusetts-Bay colony and was finally settled permanently.

[​IMG]

This authorisation was passed by the general court of Massachusetts-Bay in January 1758 with the prize being decided in November 1760. I find it fascinating that lotteries were not only tolerated, but they thrived during this time, with religious fervor predicating all other forms of gambling. One could imagine that given that it was for the public good that lotteries were permitted during the time.

Lottery tickets from this era were at one time really not researched well, and collectors were few. Mercifully for myself I purchased this when I was a sprite with a determination to expend my extra dosh on sundry numismatic treasures rather than Pac-Man and music etc. I was always fascinated with the signers of paper money and lottery tickets, this particular lottery ticket being no small exception. For indeed, it was signed by William Pepperell (1696-1759), a notable from Maine history and even colonial American history. William Pepperell was a commander of the militia early in his career and would thence become Chief Justice of Massachusetts-Bay in 1730. He became the first native born American to become a Baronet in 1746, and was received by George II in 1749. He earned this distinguished honour in his military exploits during "King George's War" of 1744-48 where he commanded troops that besieged Ft. Louisbourg in French Canada and forced the French to surrender. During the French and Indian War he became a major general and for a short time governor of Massachusetts-Bay. He must have signed this ticket in 1758, as he took seriously ill in early 1759 and would die mid the following summer. His home in Kittery was built in 1682 and still stands and is entered in the National Historic Register.

Whilst it would appear unduly economical to us in the 21st century, paper was quite dearly expensive during the 18th century - for that reason the lottery tickets were printed on the unprinted side of an older document, notice the signature of Rishworth Jordan on the reverse of the ticket. He was a prominent jurist from Winter Harbour in what is now Maine. During the American revolution he was appointed Chief Justice in the Massachusetts-Bay colony. He lived a very long life for the time, having been born in 1719, he would live until 1808.

Attached Files:

midas1 likes this.
  8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Hey Steve, you're a NASCAR fan eh? I'm with you brother! I wish I had some of those tickets for my collection, especially the Southern 500 ticket. What history can be told about that race. I just can't believe the tradition has been lost, and we've moved on to "better" things. I love all of your tickets Steve. Congrats on a great group of memorabilia.

Bruce

midas1 likes this.
  9. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Great history lesson, SM! And a fascinating piece. I have a scant few 18th century paper items including a couple newspapers and a piece of Colonial currency. The rag paper is really interesting and holds up pretty well for its age.

midas1 likes this.
  10. Dr Kegg

SM, that was a great history lesson and I appreciate you taking the time to educate us here in CT on the historical figures of your piece. Generally, lesser-known signatures are not researched in this manner and cannot be discussed to such a detail as in your post. That makes the piece even more fascinating.

11. Bob White

Bob White Member

!

WS 1993 Game 6.jpg

1993, Toronto Blue Jays win their second consecutive World Series Championship with a Joe Carter walk-off home run at home in Game 6. My favourite pro sports memory, and I remembered to keep the ticket!

12. gsalexan

Okay, I've got a creepy one. I found this in a junk box somewhere for a couple bucks -- it was just too bizarre to pass up. It's a 1930 ticket for a ride on the Michigan Central RR from Ann Arbor, MI to Coudersport, PA. Not especially unusual...except that it was a ticket for a dead body. Apparently even corpses needed tickets. I'm guessing --hoping!--he rode in the cargo car. But maybe not. :eek:

Attached Files:

midas1 likes this.
  13. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

YIKES!! :eek:

14. Dr Kegg

15. Bob White

Bob White Member

Brings a whole new meaning to "getting your ticket punched"...... very curious.

and the text is creepy / ironic ... non-transferable; good for continuous passage ??? I hope so.

16. gsalexan

Bob, that's hysterical! I never read the fine print. You know, if they had a rubber stamp for this then it must have happened fairly frequently.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Still does, only on airliners. I was watching a programme on the disasters they had with the cargo door locks on the DC-10 aircraft back in the 1970's - the first instance of something happening resulted in a coffin with a corpse being sucked through the cargo door and landing in someone's front yard. That aircraft with all it's living passengers ended up doing an emergency landing - but a few others crashed until they fixed the problems with the locks.

18. gsalexan

I love posts like this -- you just never know where a thread will lead. :)

Yesterday I picked up another couple nice pieces, including a check I'll post on a different thread and this ticket from the 1876 US International Exhibition in Philadelphia, engraved by the Philadelphia Bank Note Co. I've seen three different versions of this ticket. This one uses a security underprint on the reverse (with the vignette). There are also two types without the underprint, one with "Fifty Cents" overprinted in red across the face and one plain. Not sure which is scarcer type.

Attached Files:

19. Beachloan

Beachloan Member

This is a ticket of sorts...I guess IMG_20110702_175402.jpg IMG_20110702_175453.jpg

20. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Love all these tickets! I love how this thread has went in all different directions, awesome! I've got my eye on a couple of tickets and hopefully I can get em soon.

21. gsalexan

Draft saved Draft deleted