Post some Lincolns!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Phoenix21, Feb 26, 2008.

1. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Here's a close up of the date of my old 1909 doubled die :)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

RLM- I got to say that coin is a bit odd looking IMHO. You don't think it was cleaned perhaps?

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

In hand, I am pretty sure that it has not been cleaned.

5. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

1931 toner

This coin keeps changing. Here's the transition. Stored in Intercepts in ait-tite situation in Intercept box, dessicant, etc. I know Doug will ask if I put oil on this coin, but I have owned a year or two, and I don't remember. I'll assume yes, but it was back then and the coin just recently started changing. I like the colors. You can see the luster through the toning. I assume it wouldn't grade, but I would submit if I thought it would.
    1. Jan 09:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4/09:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8/09:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Oh, RLM- can you post different photos of your 1911? Maybe angled shots to show the luster or with different lighting? Very interesting coin.

The 1909 of illini's is nice. The doubling on these is often subtle, in the ones I see. I really like the doubling on the 9

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The 1909 doubled die posted above is an MS62BN example of the FS-1101 which is the stronger of the two 1909 doubled dies. The less prominent FS-1102 is much less visible and is also significantly less valuable, even though several eBay sellers try to sell them at the FS-1101 prices :rolling:

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice 31 Boss!!

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hate to be the bearer of this news, Boss, but I have "oilers" that have changed/toned like that. The surface looks a little "flat," too, to me, suggesting an oil bath, at some point. Just going off the pics, of course. The good news is, you're right, this one looks to still have some luster left. I wonder, does that "cartwheel," any? Mine, which were in those long baths (and, then, once out, only rinsed under warm, running water, as I had said) totally lost all cartwheel effect (...unlike the others, which weren't in the baths). Still, I think, you have a nice-looking coin; FWIW...

10. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Where have you been eddiespin?? Good to hear from you. I always cut the oil with acetone or xylene. Using warm water (which I have tried) will cause the oil to trap some of the water and make a weird film. I wonder if you soaked any of those old coins in acetone, maybe 10-20 min, two more dips, distilled water and canned air what would they look like? Like I said, I can't remember for the life of me if I oiled this coin or not (I am assuming I did). Mind you I have graded coins, full RD, I submitted with light coats of mineral oil that graded with PCGS and NGC that look the same now. I will only do that for RB coins now, and mostly don't do it much these days. I would be estatic if this were to grade but don't want to sink any more money I don't have anyway, into Genuine or Details grading fees.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think it will grade, in spite of what I said. I think it would be a shame to hold it back on mere suspicions. Submit it, and let them decide. That's what they get paid for. It looks good enough. :)

Where have I been? Getting clobbered by the "yes, yes, yes, arf, arf, arf" crowd for some unpopular positions I took in some other threads. I'll live. ;)

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK, boss. You asked for some different pix of the 1911. These may not be any better, but they are different. Just remember that this coin is mostly brown. Most of the "red" you are seeing is the lighter parts of the graining which is typically more yellow than red.

Attached Files:

13. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Fun with the camera this weekend! Have to work on this but wanted to play with color/toning changes. All picked out of rolls searched recently. Will post better pics when I am happy with color and focus. :)

Getting closer :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Here is my latest. This one fits real nice - it is my last 66 red for my set 34-58. They are now all 66 or better (49 of them are 67's).

Attached Files:

15. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

That's a really cool color progression USS656!!!!! Only way you could top that is if they were all the same date!!! :)

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Nice coin and a killer set you must have!

17. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Thanks RLM for reposting the 1911- very interesting. Hard to see the luster, and that is one of those tricky wooodgrains, but a nice one. Hard to grade but looks like a 63? Jealous of the 35-58 graded coins you have. Very nice and congrats.

Eddiespin- thanks for feedback. I may send in, but would be really bummed on a details grade.

USS656- cool colors.

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Wow some great coin have been posted!!

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It has been a while since I posted one in here, but I like this one and I think I managed to get a good picture of it - especially considering how hard some wood grains are to catch.

Attached Files:

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice woody what year is it???

21. coop

coop Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted