Post Some 3C Nickels!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, May 29, 2015.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I've been casually looking for a nice three cent nickel for my type set for a while and haven't found the one yet. Part of the reason I haven't found one yet is because I'm not confident I can differentiate a cleaned one from an original one.
    I want an original coin for my set, so if anyone has some good examples of original and cleaned circulated coins please post them and explain how to tell which are cleaned and which aren't.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1865 seems to be a good year to find some nice examples of the nickel three cent piece . A lot have nice clash marks and repunched dates. I do have a collection of nickel three cent pieces . Let me see if I have some imaged to post.
    Like a lot of coins of this era, the mid dates are the keys. The 1870's most only have mintage's under a million. In 1877 only 510 proofs were struck.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. Paddy54

5. Paddy54

6. Paddy54

7. Paddy54

8. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

9. Paddy54

10. Paddy54

for the most part yes....I'm not sure on the one 73 but yes unc. and XF/Au. coins. one is the open 3 and the other is the closed 3.
    the 74 was a very nice coin but the seller never smashed his staples on the 2x2's and it took a nasty scratch across the bottom of the lll.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

PR64, one of the approximately only 600 minted that year. My only proof pre-1900s US coin. Totally love it, and got it for a great price!!
    1869 proof reflect.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  12. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

nice 1869 Pr coin

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have always liked trimes, but my favourite is a circulated 1889 - because by then it was quite an anachronism a 25 year old design, small mintages save the 1881 and most of the examples from 1889 are proofs, BU etc. It is said that these circulated to some extent into the early 20th century. But even by then they must have been fairly rare to see.

[​IMG]

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I need to rephotograph this one.

1881-3cn.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Neat examples all around for an unappreciated coin IMHO...

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

have some , none as pretty ... easier to find a 3cent nickel then a silver one in one's pocket

Draft saved Draft deleted