Post regarding a rip-off coin dealer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mac266, Feb 16, 2016.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

"I've read stories about people dying because they couldn't afford to get more insulin before payday"

Think of it as evolution in action.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's harsh, even by Internet-posting standards.

Paul M., NSP, medoraman and 1 other person like this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Yeah it is harsh and not even close to "survival of the fittest" theory because man has invented a drug to combat the condition.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That is not evolution in action, as genetic changes nor percentages of the pool could be calculated. It is more a form of artificial selection, where mankind is doing the selection based on their own greed. Look at the owners of Purdue moving money offshore for 4 years as they knew .

Roman Collector and Paul M. like this.
  6. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know it does. 25 for me and 2 for them mentality. If they can save 2 cents, they'll do it, whether they need to or not. Crapitalism 101. Greed based on more greed. It is our society, unfortunately.

Good Cents and Paul M. like this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

That's a very one-sided response. Imagine yourself as an employer, trying to squeeze your employees for every cent possible. Then imagine yourself trying to:
    • Constantly replace employees who know they are good enough to work most any place they want
    • Manage employees who know they are the only ones you can retain
    • Surrender more in costs of quality / slow production than the amount saved in hourly labor
    Those employers who squeeze their employees as you describe get weeded out very quickly.

There are far fewer Scrooge McDucks running successful businesses in this world than you would like to believe.

afantiques likes this.
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's greed vs laziness. Which side are you on?

9. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

The fact is that if employers treated their people well, paid them well and DIDN'T try and 'squeeze' every drop of everything out of them to begin with, business would be even MORE successful for all involved. What has happened over the past decade or so though, is that MEGA profit has become THE begin all and end all. When employers will only pay 'x' number of dollars (or put another way, "as cheap as they can get them") the old saying 'you get what you pay for' comes into play. MOST people are hard working and will put forth whatever effort needed if in return they were treated at least fairly and would be that productive employee that the employer wants. That doesn't happen though. I call it the 'Walmart attitude' of squeezing every drop of anything that the employer can profit off of that most employers have adopted. Thing is when the employer plays this game of "work hard and maybe we'll see about that 2% every other year" bs with employees, then the employee adopts the same attitude right back at them. Production suffers and everybody plays the turnover game. Scrooge McDucks? Oh my friend, there are PLENTY. I've lived it and I see it every single living day. Employers will cut their nose to spite their face every time in order to save a dollar on paper. Employers only get back what they put in most of the time. Everybody winds up trying to get over on the other. It's a sad,sad game of crapitalism that everybody is forced to play and it's shame, and it's all about GREED. Period.

10. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I'm on the "mutual respect" versus 'no respect'. Which side are you on?

Good Cents likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

Crush the weak.

markr likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hmm... this has gotten pretty far off topic, IMO. Back to coins....

I'm not sure storing that information in the same place as the actual coins is a great idea from a security perspective. If your collection did get stolen, it would help guide the thieves straight to the good stuff. Unless you've obfuscated it somehow, like how dealers will sometimes write their wholesale prices on 2x2's in alphanumeric codes, I would consider just labeling the 2x2 coins with serial numbers, then having a separate spreadsheet cross referencing all the serial numbers with whatever info you want to provide your daughters.

13. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Well at least you're honest. Somehow though, I doubt that attitude improves anything except for the top tiers. It's that perspective that will crush us all sooner, not later. It's a crappy world we live in but hey, screw the other guy before he is able to screw you. I get it. Another couple of decades of this and we'll all be toast so I guess I can only say, 'enjoy the ride'. It's end will be rather hollow though I'm afraid. Too late to fix things now anyway so crush on.

14. CoinCorgi

It's been this way since the garden of eden. Another couple of decades won't matter. But your little fantasy world of equality is impossible. Butt.hey, maybe the apocalypse would be a nice change of scenery, so who am I to say differently.

15. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I am a collector of coins, mostly I build my now fancier Dansco albums with coins I find CRH. Up until a few years ago when I was just searching change, my finds went in Whitman folders. I give this as background to show that I am a novice when it comes to buying and selling coins. Since retiring last year, I have been buying some hole fillers here and there and Morgan dollars. We have 2 local dealers who also belong to our Coin Club. One is a high volume / low profit margin dealer who I believe is honest and has sold me a number of coins often 10-20% below Greysheet prices. He always shows me the Greysheet price and usually tells me what he paid for the Morgan. His profit in common Morgans for example, is usually $2-$3 per coin. He is friendly and honest and occasionally throws in a free inexpensive coin to sweeten the deal. I’ve watched both dealers with a close eye as they sell coins to our club members. I’ve never haggled with either of them, a personal weakness that I need to get over, lol. But the other buyers don’t haggle either. I think there is a high level of trust with the first one. However, I think he would lowball me if I wanted to sell my collection to him. Finding somebody ahead of time that my heirs can trust after I die to sell my collection to is my dilemma. Do you all typically haggle with dealers when you buy and sell coins?

16. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Yes I know it has. The apocalypse is looking better and better.

17. CoinCorgi

Then I recommend watching Good Omens. Even the apocalypse can go wrong.

18. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

That's depressing. The only equalizer gone bad? I'll still take it though. I know what this life is and has to present. The unknown somehow seems better.

Draft saved Draft deleted