Post and explain your "out of the ordinary" circulated US issue(s) or varieties

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fiddlehead, Feb 3, 2018.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I won mine from Stack's. I still need to image it. It's much nicer than the 64 I own. Had to upgrade.

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The images may of been copy writed thus unavailable for print.
    The 1852 coin with mintages over 18 million I'm sure were used quite a bit.
    Even thought 3 cents was a lot of money inflation calculator estimtes 100 years ago .03 cents in 1918 was equal to .76 cent today. So adjust for another 3/4 of a century. So they were very heavily used.
    Next take into consideration hoarding of coins durring the 1860's, and coins melted for their silver content. Many of the variety in question could of not survied.
    Also consider records kept....not always the best....hard to say never the less a very cool variety that is always on my nit list when wa.king a show..

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Also, I wonder where this supposed XF40 is that Flynn looked at? Perhaps it's the PCGS VF35? Scarsdale Coin has that one in his registry set. It was sold for $92 to Rich Uhrich, I believe, back 8-10 years ago at auction before people knew the rarity of it, and before it was an element of the registry set, making it a must-have. Rich sold it to Scarsdale for an unknown amount.

mynamespat and fiddlehead like this.
  5. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Happy to learn about this neat variety!

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

This variety of the 1842-O Seated Quarter may not qualify as a major variety among early seated quarters; however, it does seem to be out of the ordinary.

Greg Johnson describes this variety as the "Open Claws" variety, Transitional Reverse: Here is the excerpt (from Gerry Fortin's website) describing this variety:

"Open and closed claw reverses of the 1838 and 1839 quarters are relatively well known and collected by a fair number of people. Even the 1840 transitional versus new hub reverse, with the distinct eagle’s claws, has gained some recognition. However, some of the “transitional” (i.e. open claws) reverses that show up later in the series are still almost entirely unknown to collectors who have not studied reference materials in detail. These occasional, short-lived design changes appear to be unique to the quarter series (there are no analogous changes to half dollar reverses) and are most easily identified by the eagle’s claws.

This month’s quarter is the 1842-O with transitional reverse (Briggs reverse D – only known paired with Obverse 3). The difference in claw configuration is quite obvious as shown in Figure 1 (Briggs’ reverse A with closed claws) versus Figure 2 (Briggs’ reverse D with open claws). Note that both left and right claws are notably more open on the transitional reverse. The open claw, transitional reverse has been an elusive variety to locate; in fact, study of 69 1842-O Large Date quarters pictured in the Heritage archive indicates that only 2 of those 69 have the transitional, open claw reverse. Further, both of those coins were sold in “details” (i.e. problem) holders. The variety is clearly quite rare, particularly in original and problem free condition".

Pictures from G. Fortin's website:

1842 O Seated Quarter Closed Claws.jpg 1842 O Quarter Open Claws.jpg

My coin:
    1842-O seated quarter OBV- better - 1.jpg 1842-O seated quarter REV- better - 1.jpg

Mainebill and gronnh20 like this.
  7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is a close-up of the reverse:

1842 O Seated Quarter Reverse Close-up - 1.jpg

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Nice write-up
    Nice coin

9. fiddlehead

That's a neat variety. A good one to watch out for. Sounds like there might be open and closed claw varieties on quarters minted in 1840. Is that true? I collect coins from 1840 and I wasn't aware of that possibility.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is silver, (.750 fine) so the 1908-S cent is still the first Branch Mint non-precious metal minor coin issued.

11. mumu

mumu Junior Member

Here is a circulated 21 P$ with a nice rainbow. Rainbows are tough enough on MS Peace dollars. Even tougher yet on 21s. On a circulated 21 I couldnt pass it up.

[​IMG]

12. fiddlehead

Yeah, ok. I guess that's an unusual circulated US issue! How do you suppose it earned that rainbow? Is it toned on the reverse? If it's album toning it would be on both sides, right? Otherwise, hmm ....

13. mumu

mumu Junior Member

I'm guessing it was an album that toned it but that doesnt mean both sides must tone.

[​IMG]

14. Coppercat

Coppercat New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted