Post an Old Coin and an Old Tune...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well you need the coin... but you are required to add the tune!

upload_2021-2-21_23-4-48.png
    TWO VICTORIES! That's how great I felt today!

I went out to a pub this afternoon with a few friends. Should not be a notable event at all - but this is the first time in almost a year. It was wonderful!

In my area, establishments are only allowed 10 customers at a time... this just opened up a week ago after a lengthy lockdown. The six of us where able to get in at once. While this may sound like a sparse event - its a very small, cozy pub... and after a couple of pints the banter started and it felt like old times, better times. The simple things - the human interaction was a beautiful thing.

Music was playing in the background.. I thought I knew one of the tunes - but it was a modern cover. I finally figured it out... a cover of Cheap Trick from the late '70s. I used to own this album years ago...
    Great day. I hope for many more for all of us...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Roman Collector, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, well the coin is worthless without a TUNE, Dude! :)

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Clavdivs

Yet you posted no coin and no tune ...lol

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, as did YOU!

6. Clavdivs

You're killing me right now... fun!:)

upload_2021-2-21_23-36-48.png
    Theodosius I. 379-395 AD. AE 2 (4.81 gm, 22mm). Thessalonica mint, 2nd officina. Struck 25 August 383-28 August 388 AD. Obv.: pearl-diademed, helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust right, holding spear and round shield. Rev.: Theodosius standing left in galley, head right, raising hand; Victory to lower right at helm, head left, rowing; (wreath)/-//·TESB. RIC IX 44b.2; LRBC 1837. Brown patina, gVF

ancientone, akeady, Bing and 2 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I've had this unexceptional little provincial for many years. I don't post it much because it's rather mundane in its subject matter and well ... it's not exactly FDC, either.

I lost its provenance in a computer crash that happened some 15 years ago. It came from an eBay group lot and I couldn't find a reference for it until I asked for help here at CT a few years back, when @Victor_Clark was kind enough to look it up in Varbanov on my behalf.

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus, AD 218-222.
    Roman AE 19.0 mm, 3.12 g, 6 h.
    Thrace, Philippopolis, AD 218-22.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑVΡ - ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC, laureate head, right.
    Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ ΝΕΩΚΟ / Ρ - ΩΝ, Hera standing left, holding patera and scepter.
    Refs: Varbanov 1780; Sear --; Moushmov --; BMC --; SNG Cop --; Lindgren II --; Lindgren III --.
    Notes: Philippopolis became a Neocorate city during the reign of Elagabalus.

If this little coin could sing, it would sing about being overlooked and unnoticed compared to the Athenian Owls and Julius Caesar elephant denarii of the world. It would sing something like this old tune:

8. Clavdivs

Wow! Interesting coin - I know we all have a few under appreciated coins in our collections.
    I also have to say - that is a great tune that I have not heard (or thought of) in many a year. Thanks!

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Clavdivs

FIRST ancient coin I ever owned... uncleaned lot - so the first I got some detail out of... after a ton of scrubbing...

upload_2021-2-22_1-8-17.png

FIRST Video I ever remember watching as a kid.. :)

Both were so thrilling at the time... hard to explain now to people who weren't there.... and didn't live it.

10. Roman Collector

This provincial of Julia Domna from Stobi isn't the oldest coin in my collection, but I've had it for seventeen years now since I bought it from David Hendin of Amphora coins in October, 2003.

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ 25.4 mm, 9.3 g, 7 h.
    Macedon, Stobi, AD 196-211.
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVST, bare-headed and draped bust, r.
    Rev: MVNIC STOBE, Victory-Nemesis advancing left, holding wreath and palm; wheel before.
    Refs: Moushmov 6548; Josifvoski 264; Varbanov 3891; cf. BMC 5.104,8.

I don't post this coin often because the reverse type isn't special -- it's one that @dougsmit would say Victory-Nemesis is "just standing there."

But because the coin is "just 17" and Victory is "standing there":

11. Clavdivs

Very nice coin - and I like the photo .. looks like a tough one get a good image of due to the coloring.
    Also have never seen that exact Beatles clip - awesome!

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. Clavdivs

Well .. if you grew up in the 70s and 80s... and once owned a DOS based PC - this image was mind blowing in 1995 .. The birth of "Windows 95" ..and we all asked "why am I watching a file transfer" - and realized that I am not REALLY watching a file transfer - but I can't stop watching!

upload_2021-2-26_3-19-9.png

You'll also recall that Windows 95 preloaded with this - to fully display its "multimedia" capabilities.
    Still an exceptional video!!! Great tune... Great times!

Interestingly, the original release date of the Weezer song "Buddy Holly" was on what would have been Buddy Holly's 58th birthday.

and.. add a cool coin:

Domitian - happened to be in charge in 95AD.... 1900 years before Weezer. He may not be too sad about that!

upload_2021-2-26_3-32-31.png
    Domitian, 81 - 96 AD
    AE Sestertius, Rome Mint, 35mm, 30.75 grams
    Obverse: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GER M COS XIII CENS PER P P, Laureate head of Domitian right.
    Reverse: IOVI VICTORI S C, Jupiter seated left holding Victory and scepter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  13. Roman Collector

How about this Framptastic new version of an OLD TUNE?

It'll go nicely with this new photo of an OLD COIN.

Tacitus VICTORIA GOTTHI antoninianus.jpg
    Tacitus, AD 275-276.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.57 gm, 21.1 mm.
    Ticinum, AD 276.
    Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA GOTTHI, Victoria standing left, holding wreath and palm; P in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 172; Cohen 158; Sear 11821; Hunter 59; CBN 1676.

14. Clavdivs

Some classics to set the stage for the weekend!!
    Have a drink, or a smoke (fully legal here in Canada) and RELAX..

upload_2021-3-5_20-26-44.png

Sigeium, Troas. AR drachm. 400-300 BC. 16mm, 3.09 g. Crested, helmeted head of Athena facing three-quarters right. / ΣIΓE, owl standing right, head facing, crescent behind head.

15. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

Not an old coin and an old tune per se, but they are fitting, and they do feel old, even if they are only one year "old" now.

About the coin : one of the coins I grabbed the last time my monthly local coin show took place (a year ago), a week before lockdown here. The kind of stuff I could find in the 2.5€ bin. I miss those deals.

About the tune : the last song played during the show I attended just before lockdown (two or three days after purchasing the coin). Alcest being one of my favourite bands, I was willing to see them live for a long time. I'm glad I could see them before everything got cancelled, a great last "pre-covid" memory.

PAX AVG.jpg
    Tetricus II, antoninian, PAX AVG.

ancientone, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

This one is circa 1984....

martemp.jpg

And a song from 1984. My nephew just got a job at Tesla as a robotics engineering software technician.

17. Clavdivs

upload_2021-6-11_22-11-21.png
    Sicily, Menaion. Circa 2nd Century BC. AE 18mm 4.3g, Pentonkion. Laureate & draped bust of Zeus-Serapis right / MENA-INΩN, Nike driving galloping biga right. Pi below

-------

I was playing this tune last weekend .. teenage daughter had questions: Why call it a "telephone" instead of an "iphone"? Why "pick it up" instead of "answering" and why not just text her? But mostly - what are these "telephone lines" they speak of?
    I know she was joking around - but everything I enjoy is slowly turning into an anachronism ... :)

18. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

Here's another old coin with a musical selection by Handel. This is Coronation Anthem #2, from four composed for the coronation of George II in 1727. I don't own the coin, but here's a nice coin of George II. 1736 Crown, first bust. George II Crown.jpg

Here's the music. Enjoy.

+VGO.DVCKS and Roman Collector like this.
  19. Clavdivs

Yes this is new - but its wonderful to hear them again!!!!

upload_2021-11-7_1-52-31.png
    Victorinus AD 286-270 or 269-271.
    Æ Antoninianus, 22mm, 3.5g, 12h. Cologne Mint.
    Obv.: IMP C VICTORINVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent in her arms.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    ancientone, Bing and Roman Collector like this.
  20. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

Thanks. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who enjoys Handel. If you like classical music, here is a wonderful composition by the Czech composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679 – 1745) that you might enjoy. Personally I prefer his vocal works to those of Handel.
    Jan Dismas Zelenka – Missa votiva e minor ZWV 18 (1739) / / Collegium 1704
    / Václav Luks

The entire composition is quite wonderful, but two of the featured soprano selections are really outstanding. The first from 4:40 to 9:30 is sung by Hana Blazikova. The second from 56:25 to 102:40 is sung by Stanislava Mihalcová.
    Enjoy.

+VGO.DVCKS and Roman Collector like this.
  21. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I was young, then... During a vacation in Tunisia with my family, I bought from some souvenir shop for tourists this tiny (15 mm) coin of Carthage.
    Punique 4.jpg
    At this time this tune was stuck in my head :

Draft saved Draft deleted