Post an Old Coin and an Old Tune...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 24, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Orfew, that is just Too (imaginary, anyway redundant expletive) Good.
    For the songwriting, Tom Waits (...for No One) is a lot like --who, maybe Bruce Cockburn?-- might have sounded like, after a couple of decades of living in a hotel in Las Vegas. Here's the one of his that I need first. ...But Only First!

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

PtolemyII_MERGE.jpg We're all forgetting to add coins!!

4. Clavdivs

5. Clavdivs

NervaDealer.jpg The evolution kept going...

6. +VGO.DVCKS

...Soooo Busted. Okay, here's one. My example of Raymond Roupen, the half-Cilician Armenian who briefly fell into the Principality of Antioch, before Bohemond IV restored the dynastic status quo. This was from Chris Sabine, numismatist extraordinaire, by way of Ebay. COINS, CRUSADES, RAYMOND ROUPEN, OBV.JPG COINS, CRUSADES, RAYMOND ROUPEN, REV.JPG

ancientone, Alegandron, Bing and 2 others like this.
  7. Clavdivs

Nice one!.. gotta crank this:

Post_MERGE.jpg

8. +VGO.DVCKS

...Well, except I'm back to needing some more Ska revival.
    COINS, CRUSADER, ANTIOCH, BOHEMOND IV (YOU HOPE), WITH ENVELOPE AND WEIGHT.jpg COINS, ANTIOCH, BOHEMOND IV, OBV..jpg COINS, ANTIOCH, BOHEMOND IV, REV..jpg
    And that was my example of a Bohemond IV. (And for tonight, I'm kind of All Done with arguing with the formatting. ...Or, back to Tom Waits, arguing more generally.) Attributed to Bohemond III on US ebay, but it looks a Lot like a Metcalf / Malloy Class J.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  9. Clavdivs

ClaudiusII_MERGE.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Bing, Roman Collector and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

Just, Dang, Too Good. I couldn't think of any one good track for Jamaican ska, but this is more along the lines of rocksteady to early reggae.

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

...But, Wait! That's Ptolemaic, but What is the counterstamp? Sorry if someone in the forum (...you, maybe?) already identified it.

12. Clavdivs

A super cool Trident countermark... don't know much about it - other than it's pretty awesome. I haven't seen another like it - but then again I'm a beginner.

Julius Germanicus and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This is an old coin -- my first sestertius. I fell in love with its smooth black patina and it resulted in a lifelong Faustina fascination!

[​IMG]
    Faustina Senior, AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.57 g, 32.0 mm.
    Rome, AD 145-147.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AVGVSTA S C, Vesta veiled, standing left, holding palladium and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 1124; BMCRE 1519-20; Cohen 110 = 122 corr.; Strack 1294; RCV 4617.
    Notes: Cohen 122 (Wiczay): "Concordia? standing l., holding statue and wand," (La Concorde? debout à gauche, tenant une statuette et une baguette) is almost certainly a badly described specimen of this type.

And here's a song from the days of Dream Academy, Style Council, The Specials, Joy Division, etc., but out of Canada:

+VGO.DVCKS and Bing like this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

Thomas Mozzillo, I need to thank you for this track. Saw the first local PBS broadcast of the concert. ...One could only wish that during fund drives, they'd play this kind of thing endlessly, instead of the latest pop psychologist / amateur theologian / guru.

Orfew likes this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

...And, Oh No, thank Covid, but I'm just rediscovering how good this whole album is. (I have some other Ali Farka Toure --Allah rest his soul*-- the best being 'Radio Mali,' a rerelease of his stuff for the national radio station in the early '70's.)

*...Thank you, if you were a Coptic Christian, it would be entirely legal to say that.

Orielensis likes this.
  16. Clavdivs

upload_2020-9-10_23-3-24.png
    Claudius II, 268-270
    IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG
    NEPTVN AVG
    Neptune standing, holding dolphin and trident.
    ----------

Oldie but still a fav..not an instrument to be heard.. 1983:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS, Bing and Roman Collector like this.
  17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Got this one from Jonathan K. Kern more than 20 years ago.

[​IMG]
    Otacilia Severa, AD 244-249
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.96 g, 23.1 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 246-248.
    Obv: M OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right, on crescent.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 125c; Cohen 14; RCV 9147; CRE 522.

And since it's the 13th of ZEPP-tember, I bring you this old tune:

18. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I used to collect more Celtic coins, but the only ones I've got recently that could be lumped in the Celtic category are Eraviscan coins.

Here's a drachm of the Hercuniates, a people of Southwest Hungary.

Obv. Head of Zeus right, beaded border
    Rev. Crested horseman left
    ca 2nd/1st century BC
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.42g / 14mm / -
    References:
    • LT 9842
    • BMC 91-98
    Provenances:
    • Dr Miklos Hoka Collection
    Acquisition/Sale: Celtic Coins Online Store Liz's List 69 #4 17-Feb-2014
    [​IMG]

I fell into the YouTube rabbit hole recently, as a result of a song that was playing on the radio and ended up at the Pogues - Rainy Night in Soho:

Or a live version - this was from an apparently amazing gig in 1988 (most of it is on YouTube in 4 parts):

Oh well, why not a third one - originally written by Shane for "Sid & Nancy", with Cáit O'Riordan singing; this is with Sinéad O'Connor:

Right - time for my evening perambulation...

ATB,
    Aidan.

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Kinda appropriate for self-quarantining times...

upload_2020-9-20_11-14-48.png
    Pamphylia-Side 190-36 BCE AE 15mm Minerva R - Nike L wreath Sear Grk 5440 SNG Cop 408ff

+VGO.DVCKS, ancientone, Bing and 2 others like this.
  20. Clavdivs

An great old tune from the '90s .. which is reminiscing about the '70s.. what could be better?

LRB Black.jpg

21. Clavdivs

Well I don't know about you... but I will be bringing out the popcorn to watch the Roma XX sale on October 29/30...

Draft saved Draft deleted