Post an MPC (Military Payment Certicate)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kaparthy, Mar 10, 2018.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

To be frank and honest here, iam only interested in graded examples of MPC,S
    Some in this thread or not and they have told me several times that this is true
    So just trying to call them out on this fact if they dont want to respond that,s fine
    with me, i will keep posting as really doesnt matter either way to me :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I appreciate your passion for collecting, but I do not share all of the same aspects. There is truly nothing wrong with a 67 PPQ. They are rare, indeed. But, you can get that from the factory, like a Proof 69 from the Mint. So what? Where is the history in that, the historicity?

I do not need another MPC with staple holes. I have a couple already. But the staple holes are part of the history of the use of the object, as they were called in and counted. An MPC with honest wear speaks volumes. There's a story there. Your all-too-perfect notes have no stories. They are sterile.

Nice to look at. Nice to know what they should look like. But, again, a catalog from the printer will tell you the same thing.

Just sayin'...

oklahomadanny likes this.
  4. kaparthy

Errors are interesting, but not consuming. I mean, I appreciate your passion for collecting. It is one of the rewards to the true collector, that eventually (sooner rather than later) you identify one that is rare, even unique. That was a point made by Frank Robinson in his book Confessions of a Numismatic Fanatic. As a kid, his coin buddies were gushing about the Basher Doubloons then in the coin news, but he had Chinese coins that were unique. I have an archaic electrum from Miletos that is a museum piece, others similar, but none catalogued to these dies. So, rare is nice.

But errors just don't float my boat. It's like the 1804 Dollar. Interesting, but not worth more than a couple thousand, maybe, just a knock-off. Same with errors, to to me. Just sayin'...

5. oklahomadanny

oklahomadanny New Member

As a printer you can understand the problem/error. I believe the fronts had 5 colors (maybe 4) so two sheets got stuck together and missed the last two colors, purple and a light brown. Schwans' 4th edition MPC book was printed in 2002 and there was 2 notes in private hands so this is a new find. mpcusa is proud of his registry notes and I'm proud of my error. MPC is truly a quirky US currency that has a lot of history behind it.

The old saying "whatever floats your boat" is appropriate for this thread. :joyful:

gsalexan likes this.
  6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Welcome to Coin Talk, Danny! :D

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Good to get your input Danny !

8. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I never realized all the drama that goes on in these forums.
    kinda fun in a way :smuggrin: soap opera.

BTM (C)

9. mpcusa

No drama, just different opinions is all :)

gsalexan likes this.
  10. oklahomadanny

oklahomadanny New Member

Yup. :cool:

I would like you to post your #692 $20. It would help others here see what's missing on the error note. Missing the purple 'dollars' & 'MPC' and light brown border/background.

History. The series 692 is what I used in Vietnam way back in 70-71. :woot:

11. mpcusa

Here,s two from my collection, nice mid grade :) both in PMG and PCGS examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nathan401 likes this.
  12. mpcusa

Knowing the history is very interesting and yes there are many books written on
    MPC and i have about 10, so i should be all set in that department, but i also collect
    From an investment stand point as well, for example my Series 681 $10 PCGS 69PPQ is worth several thousand dollars as it is a one of a kind ! you can get a
    Uncirculated one for between $250 - $300 but there are many of those, just a little
    Supply and demand issue, where there is only one of anything the price always goes
    Up !

13. mpcusa

Here,s another rare one from my collection Series 471 $5 in 30PPQ, the designation on this note is very important as allot from this era have staple holes or other
    distractions, you will notice that most $5,s in most of the Series are very valuable
    with the exception of 2 or 3 that i can think of the printed population for this note
    is only 5,400,000 which is considered low, the value on this note is right around
    $1,100, picked up a few years back and have been looking for an upgrade but
    Nothing yet !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Man I need to get more MPCs! I had my british ones and that one 5 cent but these are cool!

15. kaparthy

"Noops" (new purchases) yesterday at a local coin store. I was happy to find these early issues. My intention in collecting MPCs is to have examples to show my military colleagues who never saw these because even the old guys were always paid electronically (at first with debit cards).
    The $1 is Fine. The 50 cents is VF. The 10 cents is XF. All three were $37. Half of that was for the 10 cents.

3 noops 1946 1947 .jpg

gsalexan and SteveInTampa like this.
  16. gsalexan

Just so everyone can see these side by side for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I have been out of the loop, so to speak.

Steve in Tampa was the first to identify this as an error note. If you have read the 4th edition of the MPC catalog you should have recognized the significance of the note immediately as it is written up extensively in the catalog. It is a well-documented error with only four or five in the marketplace.

oklahomadanny and gsalexan like this.
  18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Although it is only two weeks away, it is not too late to sign up for the MPCFest in Port Clinton, OH, May 4-6. This year's special guest is Dr. Harold Brown, a Tuskegee Airman and POW who was held by the Germans after being shot down.

To reserve a space, call Kim at 419 732 7322

oklahomadanny and gsalexan like this.
  19. mpcusa

Here,s another one from my collection, often over looked are the fractionals
    Probably because they are just smaller in appearance and in denomination
    This one is from the Series 641 which is one of the most affordable and plentiful
    around this particular example is in the 50 Cent denomination and is super high
    Grade and the finest example known.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gsalexan

Rusty, what's your lowest grade MPC? :D

21. mpcusa

I think i have a Series 521 $10 in 15, but i think that was on of my first graded
    Notes i got :)

Draft saved Draft deleted