Post an Ancient Coin that Makes You Feel Happy: Felicitas!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Just checked the weather in Florida's South West Coast - up to 30C!!! sunshine at last!!

We are heading out there tomorrow - you cannot believe how happy we are to be getting away from this northern european winter for a while: cold, wet, dark.
    (we actually did have some sunshine today, though...)

Here is a sestertius with reverse FELICITAS, goddess of Happiness to express how I feel.
    Also an Antonius Pius as with Rhea Sylvia. She also looks quite happy.

Post any coin you want that makes you feel happy! :):):):):):):)

Antoninus Pius As Rhea Silvia-Obv-best - 1.jpg Antoninus Pius As-Rhea Sylvia-Rev - 1.jpg Marcus Aurelius Sestertius Felicitas- OBV - 1.jpg Marcus Aurelius Sestertius Felicitas- REV - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A couple that make me smile:

A bull wearing shades
    Phokis Federal Coinage.jpg
    PHOKIS, FEDERAL COINAGE
    AR Triobol
    OBVERSE: Bull’s head facing
    REVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo right, Φ-Ω before, lyre behind
    Struck at Phokis 357-346 BC
    2.50g, 14mm
    SNG Cop 121

And CII Gothicus listening to RAP on his headphones
    Claudius II 9.jpg
    CLAUDIUS II (GOTHICUS)Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: VIRTVS AVG, Minerva standing right resting on shield and holding spear, S in exergue.
    Struck at Antioch, 268 AD
    3.1g, 20mm
    RIC V-1, 225

Safe travels @Eduard. The weather on the West coast of Florida is fairly warm for February. Highs this entire week in the 80's F.

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

This this has been on my desk for months now, can't quite get myself to put it in a box where I can't fondle it.

[​IMG]

Germanicus. Æ Dupondius Struck under Gaius (Caligula), AD 37-41.

O: GERMANICVS/CAESAR in two lines above, Germanicus standing right in chariot, R: SIGNIS RECEPT/DEVICTIS GERM/S C in three lines across field, Germanicus, bareheaded, wearing cuirass and short tunic, holding aquila in left hand. RIC I 57 (Gaius); BMCRE 93-100 (Caligula); BN 140-51 (Caligula). Rome mint. 28 mm. 12.2 g.

Have a great trip @Eduard man, the portrait on that second coin is awesome!

Daniel_R6, randygeki, TIF and 16 others like this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Bing! That sunglass-wearing bull, and the 'interesting' portrait of Gothicus put a smile on my face too!

Thank you, chrsmat71. very appropriate coin your 'Signis Receptis'.
    The Romans must have been very happy to get their legionary standards back!

benhur767 and panzerman like this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Have a safe flight to the Sunshine state Eduard. I Love it overthere, sadly I'm stuck with the same weather as you mention, overhere in the Netherlands.

This coin is funny imho, Artemis sticking a torch in Parthenope's neck, and I like the manfaced bull with Niké flying above:

P1180632m.jpg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Septimius Severus Emesa mint

FELICITAS TEMPO
    rg0700b01562lg.jpg

FELICIT TEMPOR
    rg0940b01843fr.jpg

FELICITAS TEMPO
    rg1270bb0665.jpg

I had a die dupe so I tried to sell this one but no one wanted it so I cleaned it.
    rg1240yy1035.jpg
    rg1240fd1035.jpg

There are too many variations of these to show. This one brings happiness to those who can not spell.
    FELICIT TIMLOR..
    rg1650bb1766.jpg

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My wife and her Sister JUST came back from The West Coast of Florida (Yeah, where you are Eduard), Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale visitng their other Sister and our Daughter for the last two weeks. They just returned to Frozen-Hades and do not want to adjust. We decided to pipe our -10F weather down to FL so that you can enjoy it... :D

Me? I never pay attention to Hot or Cold weather, I just hate cold precipitation... Actually, I love the weather in SE Asia... hot/humid. :)

My FELICITAS / Happy VESPASIAN! :) He must had been a GREAT guy to know... droll humor and all. Just look at his jovial face with a FELICITAS reverse... :) He knew what he was doing...

RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left

Daniel_R6, randygeki, Eduard and 13 others like this.
  9. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Commodus denarius fides/ Good trip, i stay in cold europe:)

Attached Files:

randygeki, Eduard, benhur767 and 10 others like this.
  10. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

The thought that I’m the caretaker of this coin makes me smile every time I think about it.

8FEE0A37-2797-4C0C-9BBF-CA76D5EBA5A6.jpeg

DB212588-57E6-4BDE-B2BB-497F3A312CF4.jpeg

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone/ safe trip Eduard:)!
    Personally, I love the Winter/ I am unemployed, so have lots of free time to go snowmobiling, look at my coins, bid on auctions, await their arrival via mailman. All of my coins make me happy, here is a non ancient....but very nice from Cucombers neck of the woods....
    AV Écu dòr au Soleil 1635-B Rouen Mint FDC quality Boule Auction 2636326l.jpg
    Louis XIII 1610-43

GerardV, Daniel_R6, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Safe travels, and have fun! :)

Okay :). This one makes me smile for so many reasons:

[​IMG]
    ZEUGITANA, Carthage
    early 2nd century BCE
    AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; Flying Spaghetti Monster solar disk with uraei above
    Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12

It's as thick as a Reese's PBC and almost the same diameter :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    greed ball, GerardV, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have always loved this coin. Tanit is great...kinda that Mona Lisa coy smile, and the Horse reminds me of a Tennessee Walker! Majestic.
    Your coin inspired me to get that "Hannibal-pay-off-the-debt-for-us" 15-Shekel PIG of Bronze of a coin for myself!

This one has always been cool for me... the History is amazingly rich... at Rome's lowest points during the War with Hannibal, yet they perservered and prevailed.
    RR Anon Didrachm Quadrigatus Janus 225-215 BCE Cr 28-3 Sear 31.jpg
    RR Anon Didrachm Quadrigatus Janus 225-215 BCE Craw 28-3 Sear 31

Nathan401, GerardV, Andres2 and 11 others like this.
  15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This one makes me happy IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG The color is very warm and inviting to me, and the crisp lines on the architecture made this a 'must have' as soon as I'd seen it.

GerardV, Andres2, Daniel_R6 and 11 others like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Related to Felicitas is Laetitia and this Laetitia makes me smile! The goddess just looks so ... so ... cute!

Faustina Jr LAETITIA standing denarius.jpg

panzerman, GerardV, Bing and 9 others like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

002~5.JPG

Geta, as Augustus, Denarius. 210 AD. IMP CAES P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG, laureate head right / PONTIF TR P II COS II, Felicitas standing left, holding cornucopiae and long caduceus. RIC 69a, RSC 137

panzerman, GerardV, Bing and 5 others like this.
  18. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

Wed Nov 27 14-07-43.jpg This coin is my first Ancient Roman Coin and it is not attractive but I like it. A Theodosius I 379-395 AD,AE Maiorina 21 mm Heraclea. wt.5.3grm Wed Nov 27 14-06-48.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted