Post a Washington quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

4. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

6. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

When I originally started collecting Washingtons, it was as a fun, relatively inexpensive project meant to last a few years. I decided to collect slabbed toned Washingtons from 1940 - 1964, predominantly in MS66. The reasoning behind it was that (except for the 1940-D) the "money" coins were in the 1930's, and coins in MS66 were attractive, but also relatively easy on the wallet.

Over time I came to really appreciate Washingtons, and decided to do a raw toner Dansco. Given OCD I was always upgrading, and finally ended up with three Danscos. I finally stopped upgrading there, because at that point I might as well just have bought more slabbed coins (which in some cases I did). Along the way I decided to also fill in one Dansco in the 1932 - 1939 range. Once that "barrier" was crashed I decided to fill in some of the Clad quarters. While I have bought some clad quarters from later dates, my "official" dividing line of where I've stopped buying and putting clad Washingtons in the Dansco is 1985 P & D. The reason behind this is that in the Dansco album 1985 P & D is the bottom of the page. On the next page the Washington design changes to a lower relief design, which I find it a less appealing design, so I stopped.

With regards to the even later dates of Washingtons, I did pick up a fairly wide range of State and NP silver proof Washingtons at the 2016 summer ANA. I got the vast majority of them for $4 a coin, which with a precious metal value of ~ $3 per coin was a no brainer for me. The main reason for picking these up was to be able to fill in dates so that I can fully play, "Coin Uno" or "Follow the Lead Picture".

Here are some of the excess toned clad Washingtons that will not go in the Dansco. Some of them were also bought for "Coin Uno" dates. Even though I'm not going to put them in the Dansco, I liked their look and the price was minimal (75 cents for the 1990-D and 35 cents each for the others), so I got them. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1986D_rWA1o3.jpg
    bc1986D_rWA1r3.jpg

bc1987D_rWA1o4.jpg
    bc1987D_rWA1r3.jpg

bc1989D_rWA1o1.jpg
    bc1989D_rWA1r4.jpg

bc1990D_rWA1o3.jpg
    bc1990D_rWA1r4.jpg

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Santinidollar and Skyman like this.
  8. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

For the B toner Dansco.

bc1947_rWA4o4t.jpg
    bc1947_rWA4r1t.jpg

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

10. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You are killing it, Skyman. :D

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This completed a 1941 proof set I assembled.

IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0366.JPG

14. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

The lines in the fields are die polish lines. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1983_rWA1o4.jpg
    bc1983_rWA1r4.jpg

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Incredible reverse on that 87 Skyman.

Skyman likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

17. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

18. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

19. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

20. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

This beauty got away from me. I saw it and wanted it badly but when I got paid I went to buy it and it had been sold a few minutes before. Made me sick. It's an NGC PF67* (star) cameo. Maybe I'll find another this pretty one day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

This lovely 1963 cameo came in the mail today. It looks great in hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted