Post a Washington quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

This arrived today, sellers image. This is beautiful in hand.
    PS I couldn't do any better with the image. 1944-S 25C Washington Quarter 4a-horz.jpg

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Does that coins luster glow in the dark ? lol wow beautiful. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

5. dwhiz

I'll find out tonight:rolleyes:

spirityoda likes this.
  6. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Here is a less than impressive 1963-D purchase I made on ebay today.. But for 4 bucks shipped, what the heck. I LIKE SILVER. Mike

Attached Files:

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

here is a quarter I bought for $3.00 knowing it was AT artificial toning...

10603710_619582388162363_8513022575333634903_n.jpg
    10330435_619582454829023_7745188858158538977_n.jpg

I keep it for the lesson and it was cheap. this was about 10 years ago.

Michael K and dwhiz like this.
  8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

How do you know it is AT? It is a 1958-D after all. Based on what I'm seeing, I think it might grade.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I don't, but I have never seen these kinds of colors before so I immediately thought it was AT. thank you for your input.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Those colors are pretty common for an improperly stored 1958 double mint set. That isn't to say that the TPGs will find the toning market acceptable, only that I think it has a much higher chance than a coin not dated 1957 or 1958.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

There is no question in my mind that that coin is AT. Given that I was born in 1958 I collect a LOT of coins from that date. The colors shown IN THE IMAGES are not remotely close to D (or P for that matter) natural toning of that date, much less when you throw in the toning pattern(s).

For all that, I have certainly knowingly bought AT coins of various Types at minimal markups if I like how they look. I even have a few AT Washingtons. Here's a 1961-D that IF it had been a 1958-D the colors are close enough to the standard 1958-D colors that the coin COULD certainly have been slabbed. FWIW, IMO the coin is technically somewhere between a 66 to a 66+. It cost me $11.

bc1961D_rWA2o5.jpg
    bc1961D_rWA2r2.jpg

mynamespat, Michael K, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  12. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

13. dwhiz

14. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I love the new proof silver quarters as well as the older silver quarters. Just picked up this 63.

Attached Files:

15. robec

robec Junior Member

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What is the reverse on the 1964-D? (C is desirable.)
    64 types.png

WashQuartJesse and Skyman like this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I have 2 silver quarters of Washington. 1964 D and 1942 D. Feel free to post any comment if you like.

Quar 64 O.jpg Quarte 64 R.jpg Quart 42 O.jpg Quarz 42 R.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

dwhiz and 7Calbrey like this.
  19. LuxUnit

Im not sure if you meant mine, but I got out my loupe and i'm still not entirely sure. The E and S are very separated so its either B or C but then the two other points have a little wear so I dont want to make a definitive statement.

From what I see the wreath at the bottom does not look like its touching the A but there is wear.

The stem is also not fully attached to the leaves but there is also wear. I will post a picture tonight and let you all see.

If I had to lean one way or another I would say C, but everyone wants their coin to be rare so thats a very loose guess haha

20. LuxUnit

The first image shoes it is not a Type B, the E and S are not lined up.
    MVIMG_20180214_182939.jpg

This second photo doesnt tell me much, I feel the arrows aren't pronounced enough to sell a difference in height.

MVIMG_20180214_183017.jpg

The third photo makes me think A now but im still not sure. The point of the leaf at A seems curved and the point seems above the A rather than to the left of it. But the leaves on the left above LL look more similar to the type C. IMG_20180214_183234.jpg

Type A or C?

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The differences are subtle. But the comparison photo should be some help.
    The wear on the reverse makes it harder to determine.
    Because of the arrows this circulated coin is either A or C. And because of the left leaf design next to the arrow I am leaning towards A.
    The same with Lux's coin I am leaning toward A because of the left leaf design next to the arrow, but I honestly don't know.
    You can see in the photo the second smaller leaf is well struck in C and in A it is not like both of these coins.
    The wear on the reverse makes it hard to tell. Lux's might have a shot at C.

LuxUnit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted