Post a Toned Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 9, 2011.

?

What color toning do you like best?

1. Red

3.8%
  2. Orange

3.6%
  3. Yellow

2.2%
  4. Green

4.6%
  5. Blue

21.0%
  6. Purple

9.9%
  7. Black/Grey

3.3%
  8. Rainbow

41.6%
  9. None

6.1%
  10. Other

3.8%
  1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

4. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

The TrueViews just came in from my last submission. I continue to work towards my 50-64 toned proof set. I am incredibly proud of the rainbow 1954 and the 1956, which I pulled from capital holders. I bought the entire sets solely for the dimes. This has been a true labor of love. I was very disappointed in the grade of the 1953 -- there are a few minor hairlines, but how can that only be a 64!! Other than that, I was fairly happy, though I think PCGS graded several fairly conservatively.

I still need a 1960 toner to complete my set if anyone has any leads (and potentially an upgrade to my 64)!

1953 - Raw purchase. PCGS graded PR64. My current 1953 is PCGS PR67, but I like the toning on this one more. Wish I could swap grades.
    84080050_Large.jpg

1954 - ICG PR67 crack out. PCGS graded PR66. I may submit for regrade bc it is so pretty.
    84080051_Large.jpg
    1954 - Capital Holder raw submission. Bought the whole set just for this coin. PCGS graded PR67. This fills a hole in my registry set and I am pretty certain that this coin will remain there forever.
    84080052_Large.jpg
    1956 - Capital Holder raw submission. Bought the whole set just for this coin. PCGS graded PR67. The 1956 also fill a hole in my registry set and I am satisfied that this will remain there. Hard to picture a more beautiful 56.
    84080053_Large.jpg
    1962 - NGC PR68 crack. PCGS graded PR67. I have another 62 in PR67, and need to decide which one will be included in my registry set. I may resubmit both and see if one upgrades.
    84080054_Large.jpg
    1964 - ICG PR68 cracked. PCGS graded PR67. I like this coin a lot except for the small dull spot on the reverse. This is a very nice addition to my registry set until I find something even prettier.
    84080055_Large.jpg

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice! I have a 50-64 roosevelt proof set I built in a Capitol holder. Im trying to upgrade to cams when I can.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great looking group. Pretty coins. I think you did really well with the grades. It's cool to see someone with such a good eye knowing the right coins to send in for grading.
    PCGS has always been tough on proofs when it comes to hair lines. Only a few tiny hair lines seem to get a 64.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That's one of the best numismatic photos I've ever seen.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

And Paul in hand it pops! I just left feedback for both Justin and Ben. I highly recommend all members here to do business with both members.
    Great coins and superior service.:)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Super choice Kennedy I just got.
    [​IMG]

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Here are some nuclear Kennedy's I stashed away years ago.Neon greens and pinks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Paddy54

12. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Last night my wife and I had dinner in New Hope, Pennsylvania. I needed a tissue, so my wife handed me a travel pack from her purse. When I opened it up, a Roosevelt dime was rattling around inside. She asked "Is it valuable?" I immediately said no, but noticed in the dark that it was nicely toned, so I pocketed it for later.

On the way home, she reminded me that Selma Burke, credited with the original design for Roosevelt's bust, lived in New Hope in her later years. We used to see her in the grocery, in fact. Here she is:
    Selma Burke.jpg

Selma had submitted this design, sculpted from a live sitting with FDR, for a competition for the Recorder of Deeds office in Washington, D.C.
    Selma Burke Roosevelt Bust.jpg

Although the relief is perhaps too deep for coinage, this image is widely believed to be the uncredited basis for the final design by John Ray Sinnock, the Mint's Chief Engraver, who had to produce a dime design under tight deadline pressure.

So to honor the local ties to Selma Burke, this ordinary dime showed up to remind me that numismatics is not always about the best or brightest coin, but about the history and context in which they were produced.

10c 2007 full 01.gif 10c 2007 obverse 02.JPG 10c 2007 reverse 02.JPG

13. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

14. robec

robec Junior Member

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

16. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Cracked from an ICG graded 65 slab:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Obsidian

Obsidian New Member

18. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

A picture with my phone just can't let you see the beauty of this coin..
    2017-05-16 17.52.49.jpg

19. Paddy54

20. Obsidian

Obsidian New Member

Thanks, I like it! Without a light on it, the device is a bit more dull than I would prefer.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  21. Paddy54

Nice eye appeal

Draft saved Draft deleted