Post a Toned Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 9, 2011.

?

What color toning do you like best?

1. Red

3.8%
  2. Orange

3.6%
  3. Yellow

2.2%
  4. Green

4.6%
  5. Blue

21.0%
  6. Purple

9.9%
  7. Black/Grey

3.3%
  8. Rainbow

41.6%
  9. None

6.1%
  10. Other

3.8%
  1. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

I found this Wheatie the other day roll hunting. The reverse was the ender on the roll!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

7. Paddy54

BadThad likes this.
  8. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Here's One that I got in the mail yesterday.
    20170202_134554-1.jpg 20170202_134643-1.jpg

9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

A new photo of a coin that I failed miserably to photograph before. This one has not been graded.
    25c 1917 full 01.jpg

10. Paddy54

Kind of makes me want some double mint gum:)
    Your's is a higher grade pretty coin. s-l400-4.jpg downloadfile-47.jpeg

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

RonSanderson likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Yeah it's still in an Anacs slab.I believe that hit on her knee but will admit hands down Ron ' s is higher grade.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  14. RonSanderson

Wow, that is really high praise, considering I just spent several full minutes just staring at yours.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

16. Paddy54

Wow one nick and FS is gone! Pretty coin is it a 64 or 65?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  17. RonSanderson

Neither! This is an MS66+. That is an unfortunate place to have the nick. It does not have an FS designation, but PCGS has 24 graded higher, and does not have any graded over MS67. There are 28 higher with FS.

Statistics aside, I did think I may have overpaid for this, considering it was my first Jefferson and I had not done my homework. But looking at auction photos on Heritage, this depth of color is unusual. And even higher graded coins seem to have more marks on them.

When I went back to the LCS a couple of days ago, the dealer rhapsodized over this coin again (at that same time he had about 15 mint 1909-S VDBs and a stack of 19th century proofs sitting on the counter in front of me), even though it had been a month since he sold it.

So there are times the price and numbers don't tell the whole story. I am honored to be the custodian of this nickel and pleased to share it to the limit of my abilities. I do hope you enjoy it!

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Paddy54

Ron
    Please understand that this post isn't to pick apart a nice Jefferson . However after putting together two complete sets in MS as well as a proof set of Jefferson nickels I can't from the images see it as a 66+. Since grading is subjective that's my opinion . Maybe in hand My opinion would change. I can see from its color the + being given.
    The ding in the lower left steps definitely rules out an FS on the slab. The other hits on Jefferson makes be think again from the image it's a 65.
    What generation slab is it in? As that could be another reason it graded a point higher than what I grade it.
    Also PCGS has always graded Jefferson nickels above NGC standards.
    At one time PCGS would give a nickel a better shake on the grade then NGC.
    I know this as when I first began having coins slabbed my grades always came back higher from PCGS.
    Even coins that were graded by other TPG.
    I have always like "personally" the NGC slab its self over the PCGS slab. After breaking out of PCGS slabs and sending the coins to NGC they at about 90% came back 1 point lower in grade.
    I sold last Fall a 1971 S no s Proof Jefferson graded by PCGS at 67 DC . That I never sent it into NGC as my fear was it would come back a lower grade. The Pr. 67 DC had a pop of 9 . So after my experience of busting out PCGS coin and sending to NGC I wasn't going to even try to either put it in a slab I liked or run the risk of a lower grade.
    Your coin is quite nice and has great eye appeal, and given a chance to purchase it from a dealers case I would if I was in the market for a 50 D.

Paul M., jello and RonSanderson like this.
  19. RonSanderson

Absolutely no offense taken. I can only take the coin for what I appreciate, and I am learning that what I like is different from what the TPGs seem to like. And since I have about 10 times as many raw coins as graded ones, I really have to appreciate them for what I see. And I do, even warts and all. After all, who wants 200 identical red Lincoln cents that differ only in the shape of the numerals in the date?

That said, I'm OK. I don't have a picture of the slab handy, but I'll be happy to take one if you like. In the interim, this is the link to the PCGS certificate. On the one hand, they don't have a photo, but maybe you can deduce something from the certification number itself. PCGS Certificate.

20. Paddy54

To be honest . ....being a older collector from a different era......it was hard for me to accept a TPG coin years ago.
    My collection is still probably made up of raw over graded coins.
    I come from a time where you sat down and talked about a coin. A time when the grades were G, VG,F,VF, XF, Au, Bu, and Unc.
    You and I would horse trade or buy or sell a coin.
    We would either agree or disagree on the grade or trade.
    I am still old school....yes I do buy graded coins from all Past and present TPG. But I don't buy the slab for what's written on it......I buy the coin.....just as I would if it was raw.
    Again we all are different , as well as what we like and don't like. I will be the first to admit it was a long time.....before I would even consider buying a slabbed coin . No matter who slabbed it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    jello, RonSanderson and green18 like this.
  21. Paddy54

One other tid bit.....as a kid and yes I know I've posted this before the only coin I needed to complete my collection was a 50 D!
    GO back to 1964 and check out the book value around $35. In unc. Condition
    That's about $271.00 in 2017 money.
    Next you couldn't find a 50 D in change I would be willing to bet that finding a 1916 D or a 1937 3 legged buffalo you would have better odds. ( in 1964)
    About 20 years ago I purchased a roll of 50 D nickels I may have 10 to 15 left as I given so many away. I believe that I sent one to Santinidollar a few months back as well a few other members . And what's the value today on a 50 D? In MS 65 about $30 of 2017 money . :)

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted