Post a Toned Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 9, 2011.

?

What color toning do you like best?

1. Red

3.8%
  2. Orange

3.6%
  3. Yellow

2.2%
  4. Green

4.6%
  5. Blue

21.0%
  6. Purple

9.9%
  7. Black/Grey

3.3%
  8. Rainbow

41.6%
  9. None

6.1%
  10. Other

3.8%
  1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I've held that one in hand. My understanding was, BEFORE I saw the coin, the obverse had grungy toning and was dipped. I happen to believe it is one of the VERY FEW wildly toned NT Peace dollars.

Also, let's just say, regarding the slabbed NGC Peace dollar, NGC is notorious for slabbing AT Peace dollars. (PCGS has also slabbed a LOT of IMO AT Peace dollars).

Train your eye as to what a naturally toned coin looks like. EACH date/mm in EACH series will have a common look that you will subliminally pick up over time. If you see something that looks wildly different the warning sirens should go off in your head.

robec likes this.
  4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

6. robec

robec Junior Member

Recently added this to my toned Roosie set. I don't even mind the fingerprints.

[​IMG]

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

jester3681 likes this.
  8. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Yeah, and as for coins, well, fingerprints are bad, M'kay, you shouldn't put fingerprints on coins, M'kay!

[​IMG]

Skyman, jello, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

10. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Some new acquisitions

1940S -2.jpg
    1943S 4.jpg
    1957.jpg

robec, jom, JPeace$ and 8 others like this.
  11. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

MercuryBen, I believe you have a 1940-S FS-901 DDO/DDR. Grab a 16x or 20x loupe to confirm by checking the date...or maybe look at the 300dpi or full size photo images. The date is the easiest pick-up point. I have owned/auctioned off the top pop PCGS MS66, two MS65s and a MS64 and done well. What grade is that one...or is it raw? Neat looking coin by the way.

12. MercuryBen

Keyman - it is in an old NGC holder in ms67. Will take some closeup pictures of the date and mintmark and send to you for your analysis. I would love to try to cross this over to PCGS as even a MS66 DDO/DDR.

Ben

Keyman64 likes this.
  13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

[​IMG]
    Beautiful like all!!!
    DDR/DDO maybe has a few markers in photo.
    But not a Expert.☺

Paul M., jom, Mainebill and 1 other person like this.
  14. MercuryBen

I am having trouble seeing anything in the date but am hoping you can spot something Keyman.

Ben

mm.jpg date.jpg trust.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Keyman64

One of the die markers on the obv is the long die crack but there or Mercs of that date that have a very similar die crack and are not the DDO/DDR. Always best to just check th date. The DDR can only be seen with a 20x and steady hand inc you know exactly what you are looking for and have seen it before...for the most part. The are also reverse die cracks as markers. I have owned an early die state that had no die cracks though so that is not the best way to check on this variety. The toning makes it a little harder to see the die cracks sometimes...although, now that I look again, I do see one of the reverse die cracks. I'm pretty sure you have one.

I'm going to be the Mercury Dime Series Expert for the next Cherrypickers' Guide, due out next year. :)

16. Keyman64

Yup, just saw your close up pics. That's it. Congrats! If it can cross at MS67 I believe that will be a new top pop, although I have not checked in a while. The bottom of the 9 in the date is a good pick up.

17. Keyman64

If you look at the mint mark, go up a little to the branch and notice the tiny horizontal die crack that connects the branch to the fasces...that is another die marker, in addition to the large vertical die crack on the obv.

18. Keyman64

I'm not home but maybe later I will have a chance to post some pics I have and you can compare the characteristics with yours in hand.

Have a good day and congrats on your accidental Cherrypick. :)

MercuryBen and jello like this.
  19. MercuryBen

Very exciting. I will be submitting this to PCGS within a week or so and will let you know how it turns out! I do see the die crack above the mintmark, but the large die crack on the obverse neck doesn't seem to match up with the large neck die crack on the examples on Coinfacts.

Ben

20. Keyman64

Here is a cleaned version without the OBV Die Crack that I cherrypicked long ago...
    [​IMG]

Here is the PCGS MS66 that I had. It has the multiple die cracks on the reverse and the one on the obverse. I think there is a coinfacts image of this coin.
    [​IMG]

There are actually 6 different DDOs for the date so maybe if the OBV die crack does not match up, the date isn't the same etc...maybe you don't have it. There are three DDRs for the date, all of them minor. The FS-901 is when WDDO-002 pairs with WDDR-001. The FS-901 (WDDR-001) can seen to have Class II Distorted Hub Doubling at the top of the axe, fasces, STATES OF. leaves and top right branches.

If your coin does not match up exactly then you might have one of the others. I will try to look at your coin and compare die cracks later. Still cool that you seem to have a DDO at least. Gotta run for now.

robec, Mainebill and Skyman like this.
  21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I wonder next year will there be a mistakes. 2016_Winged_Liberty_Head_Gold_MergedSMALL.jpg We all seen a Gold dipped Mercury Dime.
    New error would be ?$?

Skyman and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted