Post a Toned Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 9, 2011.

?

What color toning do you like best?

1. Red

3.8%
  2. Orange

3.6%
  3. Yellow

2.2%
  4. Green

4.6%
  5. Blue

21.0%
  6. Purple

9.9%
  7. Black/Grey

3.3%
  8. Rainbow

41.6%
  9. None

6.1%
  10. Other

3.8%
  1. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

1922 Peace, rainbow toned. I'm no good at capturing the true beauty with pictures.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Mainebill, gbroke, spirityoda and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

jello and jester3681 like this.
  4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree like that rainbow☺

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. Broncoholic

I am 99.9% sure it's natural. If anybody believes different, I'd love to hear opinions.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It doesn't look natural to my eyes and I would be very surprised if either grading service graded that coin. To start, I have never seen that type of target toning on a Peace Dollar. While the progression from yellow-magenta-cyan is correct in the mid rings, the first color present should not be a dark color. Furthermore, the elevation chromatics are a big indicator of AT. When the colors creep over the lettering and devices like that, it should cause immediate suspicion.

I don't think this coin is market acceptable, and I think this is artificial toning created by a very good coin doctor.

Pacecar, rlm's cents and Savy like this.
  9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

10. Broncoholic

Thank you for your diagnosis. If you follow the link:
    http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=31&lot=618&lang=1
    This is what finally convinced me that mine is actually true toning.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

ddollard58 likes this.
  12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

13. Lehigh96

I have concerns about that coin as well but the toning looks more market acceptable than yours. When evaluating toning, you need to try to determine what storage conditions could have caused the resultant toning pattern. On the Goldberg coin, the obverse shows what is called target toning creating concentric rings of progressing colors that are more advanced at the rim of the coin which was in contact with the sulfur rich paper of the album that housed the coin. So if the coin was in an album, why did the obverse tone almost completely, but the reverse developed no toning whatsoever?

That said, the toning on the obverse of the Goldberg coin looks much more market acceptable than yours. First, the color progression starts at the center of the coin with tan an progresses gradually to orange, lavender, and powder blue which is a common progression. Your coin starts with an untoned interior and then has a defined dark ring to start the toning progression. I have seen this toning pattern before and it usually appears on artificially toned ASEs. Second, the toning on the Goldberg coin does not creep over the lettering with the same consistency that it does on your coin.

Whenever I see a common date low grade silver coin with little to no numismatic value and dramatic rainbow toning that shows many elements of AT, I become very suspicious of the originality of the toning. Your coin is no exception. But I am not a grader at NGC or PCGS and I have not seen the coin in hand. In order to reap any financial benefit that the toning would provide this coin, you are going to need to get it certified, so my suggestion is that you submit the coin to either PCGS or NGC for certification.

JPeace$ and Savy like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Target toning or not, if some fool paid that kind of money for a common '23 they need to have their head examined.

15. Lehigh96

Btw, the Goldberg photo looks saturated to me. I used to collect toned Peace Dollars and I don't ever remember coming across one with colors that vibrant.

[​IMG]

spirityoda likes this.
  16. robec

robec Junior Member

Here is a photo I took of a Peace dollar with similar toning. The coin is owned by a PCGS member. Photo was taken 5-6 years ago. No toning on the obverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

petro89, Skyman, Savy and 3 others like this.
  17. coinsarefun

coinsarefun Junior Member

18. coinsarefun

I hope I didn't post this coin already :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robec, BadThad, JPeace$ and 8 others like this.
  19. coinsarefun

Found something else to post.

[​IMG]

BadThad, Mainebill, Paul_62 and 4 others like this.
  20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Love this SCD!

21. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted