Post a Toned Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 9, 2011.

?

What color toning do you like best?

1. Red

3.8%
  2. Orange

3.6%
  3. Yellow

2.2%
  4. Green

4.6%
  5. Blue

21.0%
  6. Purple

9.9%
  7. Black/Grey

3.3%
  8. Rainbow

41.6%
  9. None

6.1%
  10. Other

3.8%
  1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

1999 Lincoln Cent Die Crack & Date Error & Motto Errors & Lincoln In The Memorial Too

Also has doubling on top of Lincoln head A030 - 20130302_063700 (2).jpg A032 - 20130302_064020 (2).jpg A040 - 20130302_065158 (3).jpg A041 - 20130302_065231 (3).jpg A049 - 20130302_070525 (3).jpg

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

8. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

What I like about coin collecting is that it helped me to appreciate more of the little things in life. I went to dunkin donuts for a coffee and she handed me this. nickel.jpg

9. Clutchy

This pic doesnt really do this coin justice either.

10. Clutchy

Question:

Im sure this was answered already, but 172 pages is alot to go through, so I hope you dont mind my little shortcut.

Is there a way to stop a coin from toning any further or a way to slow it down ? Im guessing that taking it out of the atmosphere would be a good start, no ?

11. petro89

petro89 Member

Any exposure to air/gasses/material/another object could cause a coin to change over time. The best thing you can do is keep the coin in a slab (if its value warrants) or an airtite holder. This is step one. The 2nd step is considering where the coin is stored. They need to be in a dry place because moisture is definately an enemy. If you have your coins in a safe for example, you need to be using dessicant or silica gel to absorb the moisture and keep things nice and comfy for your collection. The proper holder and the proper storage will keep your coins how you want them for the most part, and keep your toning looking nice. You can't stop it 100% but with the proper measures you can slow down any coin changes to where they're not really noticeable at all even through the years.

12. Clutchy

Thank you very much for the advice. I dont have any value coins yet for the most part, and at the moment, they are being stored in a open closet. I was considering buying a metal gym locker type cabinet for the bulk, and a safe (at some point) for the more valuable pieces I hope to be collecting soon. The cabinet I was planning on sealing and using a dehumidifer. I havent research dehumidifers yet, but I imagine they have a thermostat of sorts for humidity levels. Does this sound like a safe, easy approach to long term storage?

13. petro89

petro89 Member

There are a few things to consider.

1. Are you buying a storage item just to organize things, or are you worried about fire or theft as well? If it is just for storage and organization, anything is really fine. If it is for fire or theft you really will want to do some research into a nice safe so you have peace of mind. You also may want to consider a safe deposit box at a bank if you have really high-dollar items.

2. You mentioned that you may be interested in a safe. Again, fire or theft or both? There are like a million to choose from. You do get what you pay for though. A nice heavy fire safe is a start and will set you back a couple hundred bucks. But I have seen one be broken in to by an expert in less than 5 minutes. A theft-deterrant safe will be much more but unless the crook has a posse a few men strong and a couple hours on their time you're probably OK.

3. Whatever route you go, make sure you deal with the moisture issue! You can get packets of dessicant or silica gel for like 69 cents apiece and each packet protects like 2 cubic feet. You can recharge the packets after a few months by baking them so they are reusable too. Or just replace them every six months or so because they are so inexpensive. But any enclosed space whether it be a locker or safe or whatever will have practically zero airflow so moisture can be a major issue. Load up your safe with a few packs of silica gel and you should be fine.

4. Buy BIG! If you think that a certain size safe or locker is "big enough", you're wrong. Buy the next size up! Believe me, you won't regret it in the future.

If you have any other questions just send me a message or start a new thread and others can give you some more tips.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

15. Clutchy

16. jlj

jlj Member

Rim toning.

Attached Files:

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1887-P
    Morgan dollar white obv
    Here the Rev

cell jello.

Attached Files:

18. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Picked this up this afternoon at a hobby shop for $.85. Should I leave it in the Littleton wrapper or let it loose? The color is had to get through the wrapper but its a nice reddish purple, almost burgundy. Really a nice Wheatie

Attached Files:

19. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

thats whats happening to my 1984 american prospetor coin.

20. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

I picked this '87-S up recently. I can't capture the toning with my crappy pics, but I really like it in hand.

Attached Files:

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I maybe Add to My toned Morgan set?$$$??
    1878 Pcgs MS64 7o8 Strong.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted