Post a Terminally Toned Coin(s).

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MikeinWyo, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MikeinWyo

MikeinWyo Member

Please post your terminally toned coins. Particularly those in straight graded TPG plastic.

I will start. I bought this bust half a couple months ago at the ANA show and I did already post photos at the time. I think most will agree that this is terminal, or at least unattractive toning. Hey, I was really tired that day, pressed for time before the show wrapped up and had exactly $100 for a TPG certified "problem free" capped bust half dollar in VF. So I got my money's worth!

20180814_195448.jpg

20180814_195515.jpg

I think, however, that I can make peace with owning one, darkly toned (if on or close to the terminal side) original capped bust half for my collection. I don't mind it too much in-hand and hey, I like a little variety.

Paul M., NSP and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I don't mind circulated coins that are terminal. I just don't like uncirculated coins that are. To me it is environmentally damaged. And please don't call them "BU"!

MikeinWyo likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Just... Yuck.... Most disappointing coin I ever owned.
    C4D592FF-CF5F-4391-82AB-8E3D5E3138AC.jpeg

Paul M., NSP and MikeinWyo like this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I might not buy those coins but I much prefer them to rainbow toned coins.

MikeinWyo and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I cooked these in sulfur. This is as terminal as you get.

A564E24C-EDF0-423F-93BE-70F61EC55C88.jpeg

NSP and MikeinWyo like this.
  7. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Was that an experiment or were you just bored?

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Experiment

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Here’s a poorly centered picture of one of my favorite terminally toned coins. While this type of toning would be environmental damage on an UNC coin every day of the week, it makes low grade coins look very nice.

C1BBEE94-5E7C-4FB5-9CA6-B06721D0DF4C.jpeg

Back when you initially posted this I wondered if I’d learn about this sort of thing in my high temperature corrosion class. We haven’t covered hot sulfur corrosion in depth yet, but basically sulfur wreaks havoc in protective scales. A similar thing happens to turbine blades in jet engines when they fly through a cloud of volcanic ash.

Paul M. and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

This is one of my coins I am currently selling on eBay. I don't know if this is terminal, but it sure is the darkest coin I have that isn't supposed to be really dark.

Capture d’écran 2018-10-27 à 13.51.52.png Capture d’écran 2018-10-27 à 13.52.01.png Capture d’écran 2018-10-27 à 13.52.09.png

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted