Post a picture of your favorite coin(s) that you own.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pumpkinpie, Jun 15, 2012.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Love it!
    Always nice to see a couple more toned Sowers, they really are extraordinary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

4. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

5. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

Just one of my many favorites
    The scratches are from the proof set plastic covering
    70s half obv..jpg 70S kennedy half rev..jpg

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There is no way for me to pick one, so I will pick 4. My choices have nothing to do with quality or value. These are the coins have shaped my collecting.
    Please save your questions until the end.

1. 1804 Large Cent
    This is the coin that started it all for me. It was part of a collection given to me by my Dad. It has been in our family since 1815.
    We know this for sure. What we don't know is why it was kept. We don't believe my relative was a collector, since this was the only coin the came through the family.
    Maybe he liked the cud, or maybe it was just a coin thrown in a drawer. We will never know. We are certainly lucky though.
    It is an S-266 die state B, the rarest of the 1804 large cents.
    I know, I need new images. But obviously, this coin isn't sitting around my house.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar
    I have well over 600 toned beauties, but this is my absolute favorite. It has nothing to do with value obviously.
    These are my favorite colors for toned coins. I call them "salsa" colors. The colors are very vibrant, and it is truly a site to behold. Every time I see it, I want to dance.

[​IMG]

3. 1885 Morgan Dollar
    This was a baptismal gift to me from my great aunt. Sentimental value is through the roof. I will always cherish it.
    I will give up my toners before I ever give up this coin. Not that anyone would want it lol.

[​IMG]

4. 1945 P Jefferson silver war nickel
    Finally, the first coin I ever bought at the first coin show I went to. This was right when I became interested in toners and nickels. That being about 3 years ago.
    I remember how frustrated I was when I originally took images of it to show off on CT. It was brutal.
    This was the beginning of my Jefferson obsession.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the great thread!

-greg

spirityoda likes this.
  7. robec

robec Junior Member

Super post.

Although no explanations are needed as to why any coin is your favorite, your personal attachment to these are well stated and understood.

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Here ya a few more faves Dimes all types US+World.
    If it has the words 10 cent + Silver I am going to get one or have 1.
    Seated+Roosevelt silver dime are 1 of the most over look US coins made!
    World Dimes or 10 cent+Silver is overlooked too that is my 2c.
    :kewl:
    1841-O S-Dime obv.jpg 1892 Barber Dime obv.jpg 1962 NGC  coin obv.jpg 1896 Mex 10 centovs obv.jpg 1941 10c neth rev.jpg

9. pumpkinpie

10. tonyclayton

tonyclayton Junior Member

I do not really collect US coins. My favourite is this coin of the Roman Republic
    fav.jpg

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My three favorites are:

Favorite Jefferson Nickel--1941-D NGC MS67* 5FS: By far the most extravagantly toned regular issue Jefferson Nickel I have ever seen and the king of my registry collection.

[​IMG]

Favorite Morgan Dollar--1886 NGC MS64* Battle Creek: I dubbed this coin the "pink eye dollar" and the originality and beauty of the toning is just phenomenal.

[​IMG]

Favorite Commemorative--1900 Lafayette Dollar PCGS MS65: Words just don't do this coin justice but Mark Goodman's photos do!

[​IMG]

ENJOY!

Windchild likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a beauty.

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

14. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

My Favorite!

I am actually surprised that my favorite is not a U.S. coin, but I fell in love with this thing the moment I saw it! It has since become my favorite coin.
    lf.jpg lf (1).jpg This guy just looks like someone you would not want to tick off...

spirityoda likes this.
  15. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

No way I could pick just one favorite either... but these are a few that I way "overpaid" for if you were to compare with the price guides, but I still think they were great buys :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windchild likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Mike,

That might be the most fantastically attractive Barber Half Dollar I have ever seen. That color scheme combined with absolutely dripping luster is to die for. Could you imagine if that coin had MS67 surfaces?

17. tonyclayton

tonyclayton Junior Member

I am intrigued as to how it was determined that this was a matt proof as opposed to a very nice circulation strike.

18. pumpkinpie

Wow. THat has got to be the best Barber I've evr seen.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1787 fugio cent a.jpg 1787 Fugio Cent b.jpg
    1787 ef-40

spirityoda likes this.
  20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1st Denver Mint Barber Half Dollar

1825 Bust Half 1906-D Barber 1892 Comlbus hafl (15).jpg
    1825 Bust Half 1906-D Barber 1892 Comlbus hafl (17).jpg
    1825 Bust Half 1906-D Barber 1892 Comlbus hafl (16).jpg

21. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

It is true that some matte proofs can easily be confused with a really nice circulation strike. The similar appearance between them made them quite unpopular at the time as collectors were used to the traditional proofs w/ mirrored surfaces. That said, once you see enough matte proofs in hand, you can usually spot them out as they do have a different look to them, especially in higher grades. When going off of a photo, or when dealing with a lower graded example, there are various diagnostics to look for to know it's a proof and not a business strike.

For the 1909, there are several die polish lines in the obverse field just off of Lincoln's nose that are on nearly all 1909 matte proofs. There is also a die line that runs perpendicular to Lincoln's shoulder that runs a little more than halfway to the ER of LIBERTY. Other years of matte proofs have other things to look for. Of course, unless the photos are taken just right, these can be hard to see in a photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted