Post a Jefferson

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stewart, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

DSCN5237.jpg DSCN5238.jpg Not only a nice Grade & Strike for this 42-P but it's also an 42PR WDDR-003 Class ll +VI,distorted & Distended hub doubling,Adds $350. Premium to base Value to grade. Overall Rarity Very Rare PUP lg die gouge (dot ) on the back of Jefferson's collar below his hair.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

Interesting Jefferson, Has anyone else ran across this on Jefferson's
    pony tail?

Terry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

5. Stewart

Another one I like

Terry

Attached Files:

6. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

I have several like it with the doubling on the pony tail but don'e believe they will bring any premiums TS

7. Stewart

Eire73,
    Just to let you know. You might want to take a close look at
    all the lettering on the ones you have with the doubled pony tail
    All of the 43 P's of mine have split serifs especially in the "T" and "Y"
    of Liberty. Also some Doubling in the Date
    Thought I would let you know what I found on the ones I purchased.
    Hopefully I can get some shots of the doubling up soon
    Computer crashed this past week. Interesting to say the least,getting it put back
    together.
    I wish you luck with Jefferson's.

8. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Gorgeous Lehigh96!

9. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

Cool I have 2 rolls of unc 43 P but most all 43 Jeffersons nickels exhibit some doubling of the Obv. due to a doubled master die. I have 3 complete collections of Jeffersons nickels including proof. I am now working on a registery set of proof Jeffersons. I am ranked 28 in my registry set. I also proud owner of a 1938 Schlag autographed poster board. I'm kind of a nickel nut...Jefferson are my first love to collect but also have a full set of buffalos , and alot of unc shield and Liberty nickels.....only wish I could boast of a 1913 V .....wishful thinking....

10. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

005.jpg 006.jpg 008.jpg Here's a nice 1971 S proof.....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      141.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

002.jpg 001.jpg 003.jpg Here's my 1943 /2 Unc. found in a orginal bank roll of 43's

12. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

001.jpg My #1 -1938 Proof Jefferson Nickel

13. Stewart

I took a bit of a break from the Ike's over the last summer and started
    playing with acquiring some Jefferson's But Holy Moly
    Nothing like the ones you have VERY COOL :thumb:

Terry

14. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

002.jpg 001.jpg How about a copper Jefferson?

15. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

May need some help with my Ikes maybe we can help each other out with dupicates. TS

16. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

4 questions:
    1.) Does it have the original reverse design?
    2.) Is that a real signature from Felix Schlag?
    3.) How much was it, just out of curiosity?
    4.) Where would you get something like that?

17. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

# 1 To answer the first question as it's framed in the orginal frame it came in 1938. The frame is sealed from the back and I don't wish to disturb the orginal backing. Funny you should ask as when I purchased this item I went to a TPG to see if I could have it graded....kind of like they do GSA dollars but with out being able to see the rev. no one would touch it. And again I won't allow it to be opened. But to answer your question yes it is a real Jefferson Proof 1938 Nickel obtained by Schlag from the mint. I bet the rev has some awsome tonning ,but guess we'll never know! But the orginal Art Deco design was reworked by Schlag as requested by the mint so the original design was really never used. So Schlags winning design really was never minted. I will post a copy of what the orginal design looked liked in another post.
    #2 Yes it is...it also has the signature of his notary and a imbossed seal dated Sept. 29 1939 it is a numbered edtion of only 150 made by Schlag.
    #3 To me and my collection PRICELESS! It took me over 25 years to find one that I wanted and with a low number...x/150 as stated above, I don't show the numbering for insurance reasons. Cost well let's just say it cost me alot! You can check out auctions and shows to see what they are bring now, that's if you can find one! With the 1971 S no S proof only 1678 mintage the 1997 SP 25000 mintage This is a very rare find yes the mintage of proof 1938 nickels was 19,365 and Schlag was promised by the mint to be able to obtain more proofs but he was only allowed 150 Proof Nickels ,thus only 150 souvenir display pannels. I am still hunting the Schlag souvenir card autogaphed by Schlag.Other low Proof Jefferson mintages 1939 proof 12535,1940 Proof 14,158,1941 Proof 18,720
    #4 You look high and low ...mostly when a collector passes on and their family see $$$ they pop up.

18. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

011.jpg 012.jpg The orginal design by Schlag was done in an art deco design was never used.The Trearsury dept. at the time the award was anounced made it clear that there were going to be design changes. Thats truely a shame as the coins from the art deco designs are timeless!

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thanks for sharing this one!!

:thumb:
    last time I saw one like that was at the Smithsonian coin collection.that one of the rarer one!

20. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Man, that's pretty cool. If you ever want to sell it, let me know!!! :D

21. fish968

fish968 New Member

nickel front.jpg nickel back.jpg

just found this in a roll at work.

Draft saved Draft deleted