Post a holed world coin that SHOULDN'T have been holed

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Oct 15, 2017.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well...you ever get a coin that you just go, "Awwwwww, man! Why did someone have to put a hole in that?"

Here's my example:

Great Britain - 1902 1/2 Penny
    pretty sure this is the scarce "Low Water Lines" variety
    KM 793.1
    Here is the normal KM 793.2

Great Britain - 1902 Half Penny LWL.jpg

Closeup of the water line area:

Great Britain - 1902 Half Penny LWL - LWL.jpg

And the same area with a red line to help with location of the water line:

Great Britain - 1902 Half Penny LWL - LWL copy.jpg

NGC Price Guide Values:
    F - $20.00
    VF - $85.00
    XF - $175.00
    MS - $425.00

Feel free to post your own world coins that would be great numismatic/collectible coins...without that pesky hole. (Side note: I think this coin will still bring a premium...not sure how much, but still. Lots of detail, and I think someone could use it as a hole filler until a "full" example comes around.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I hate when this happens. I see these in world coins bins all the time but usually don't buy them. The same is true for the nice coin that someone had glued to something, made into jewelry, etc. Here are two that I have though. 1765 austria 20 heller.jpg 1825 canada half penny.jpg

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Cyngoddess63 likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@lordmarcovan has a hat full of holed coins. maybe even some holed gold coins too ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Cyngoddess63 likes this.
  6. Cyngoddess63

Cyngoddess63 New Member

this is my only holed coin too date

Attached Files:

7. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Can we state that ANY coin holed shouldn't happen? ;)

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and mlov43 like this.
  8. stldanceartist

We can, although I suspect that for some of us there is a certain level of relief, as they really want to wear a coin somewhere but don't want to ruin a coin...so it's good that "someone else" holed it haha...

My most potentially valuable US "holed coin that shouldn't have been holed" was a lovely AU 1913 Barber Quarter with the cleanest hole. Was so nice I wanted to keep it, really...but it was one of my early eBay sales.

Unfortunately don't have photos of it...but it DID happen!

9. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I read that one reason for punching holes in coins was started by the Roman Emperor Vespasian (around 79AD), who would give such coins to the sick at what was called a ‘Touching Ceremony’. Apparently, this tradition continued through many centuries in England, when ‘touching money’ would be given to the sick, or as lucky charms. So, maybe owning one of these old coins will bring you good fortune, or just a piece of history to wonder about. I suspect most holes got punched to facilitate carrying them if you didn't have pockets.

Attached Files:

Curtisimo and stldanceartist like this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Holed coins and jewelry coins. There oughta be a law.

11. stldanceartist

Interesting - had not heard that before! And that's probably a gorgeous HK 10 Cents there...even with the hole ;)

12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Well, in my change once, I found a holed U.S. quarter dated with my birth year when I was a kid. I ran a string through it and wore it around my neck for a whole summer. I was glad someone did that one...

13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I see a lot of these 2 stuiver coins from Indonesia with a hole punched through them. I heard a story that such coins were nailed on front doors to ward off evil or some such superstition. 1716 WF Ned 2 s obv.JPG 1716 WF Ned 2 s rev.JPG

14. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

15. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Counterfeit coins were often punched with a hole, strung on a ring and kept in the bank teller's cage so they could be easily compared when suspicious specie was deposited.

Numismat and spirityoda like this.
  16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Holed silver coins were commonly used as pocket watch chain fobs back in that era when most men wore a pocket watch.

Numismat likes this.
  17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

18. stldanceartist

19. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I really hate to see a nice coin like that 1831 25 cent mutilated that way. It is like viewing corpses on the battle field, very unpleasant. I guess I should just unwatch this thread.

20. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Found this at my club’s show today and had to buy it. 1706 Queen Ann 3 pence that had to have been used as a button at some point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason I was forced to buy it was the price - $1:D

Draft saved Draft deleted