Post a favorite SEGS graded specimen in your collection.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 40_mila_kokkina, Mar 14, 2019.

1. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

Show off your nicest SEGS graded specimens front and back in the slab.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have always cracked SEGS slabs because they aren't very reliable.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I don’t have any. I buy most of my coins raw

5. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

I've never seen a SEGS, or haven't looked hard enough I guess :/

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Very Interesting! I've collected "sight-seen" specimens in SEGS slabs since they were initially offered, along with ANACS. I felt they often could be/are technically comparable to NGC and PCGS if you know the grading standards before acquiring.

I appreciated their system of grading where perceived deficiencies were often cited on the slab with the net grade (e.g. MS64 reverse scratch), where I can provide numerous examples of "top tier" TPG specimens that are straight or denied grading.

My recent multi-year reslab study has borne credence to my beliefs.

Deficiencies of author imaging and observer/critic grading
    knowledge/understanding generally preclude realistic/objective "sight-seen" evaluation. Only pre-imaging, slab removal, and raw resubmission can effect relative proper evaluation.

I've awesome "sight-seen" specimens of rare high grade Double Eagles (e.g. 1889cc MS, 1907 wire rim, 1908S, 1913S, 1920's Mint-Marked, others MS, etc.) in SEGS and others slabs that I wouldn't un-slab to chance the current "top tier" TPG non-published grading worth less "standards".

I however, generally knowing technical U.S. coins published pictorial standards, would appreciate any posted images of SEGS coins, to determine modern statements by observers here. I believe most don't know the technical standards, but I may learn something from more currently informed individuals.

JMHO

Bob Evancho and Paul M. like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Never owned a SEGS coin. Don't plan on it either.

8. 40_mila_kokkina

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

SEGS 45 I sent to NGC upgraded to AU 50 then I sent it to PCGS they agreed AU 50 1909 DDO SEGS.jpg 1909 DDO before after NOW-vert FS 1101.jpg

10. 40_mila_kokkina

How interesting. A coin triple graded and SEGS gave it the lowest grade. I see this a lot. Most of the stuff I give them gets undergraded. They might be grading the way things used to be. Also they don't do the + grades and a * grade from SEGS is a bad thing whereas with NGC it's a good thing. One has to know how to interpret the grades based on the service.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

1761 Dol O.jpg 1761 Dol R.jpg 1761 Pillar Dol SEGS.jpg I have to answer this by saying, here is my ONLY SEGS graded coin, a 1761 Pillar Dollar. It's been dipped, which some collectors will find unattractive, but it has

Seattlite86, tibor, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is a feat unto itself. Whatever you might say about them, the plastic that makes up the SEGS slab is as hard as kriptonite. I've cracked two or three of them and it's like hammering steel ... all most.

Paul M., Kasia and okbustchaser like this.
  13. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

I recently sent many 1893-S Morgan Dollars to SEGS and when compared to the PCGS photograde site, all SEGS coins were undergraded by one grade. I have been a collector for 64 years. By that I mean a PCGS photograde of an AU-50 came back XF-45 by SEGS standards. A PCGS photograde of an AU-55 came back AU-53 by SEGS standards. I also compare straight graded PCGS AU's and XF's from eBay to my SEGS coins and I would buy the SEGS before the PCGS or many NGC's. Some coins were marked with a details grade, Harsh cleaning, when in hand they had a light cleaning. In my opinion SEGS is a consistent strict grader like past grading standards and has the strongest holder in the industry. Buy coins by your eye appeal and not the Holder. My favorite coin is this 1893-S and I compare it to the PCGS photograde 20181229_195401.jpg 20181229_195423.jpg 1884-CC MS-62 with 5 reverse black marks. Compare this coin with the reverse of the 1925 Peace that recently sold for over $9,000 and PCGS graded and upgraded to an MS-64+.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No SEGS here. Sorry.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Morgans and peace dollars are entirely different series, there's nothing to compare

Gregg702 likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

I run all slabs on a band saw. Saves any possible jolts or mishaps.
    Honestly, I think I have only ever owned maybe one or two.
    And they were minor investments, usually to go into an album.

17. Pickin and Grinin

By the way this was gifted to me from a Good friend it was his fathers, cuts through a slab in less than 20 seconds.

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’ve cracked every one I had

Paul_62, dwhiz and baseball21 like this.
  19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

That "tool" is what I use for 3 short cuts when I haven't "play time", to quickly remove coins from slabs. The only negative feature is that it creates numerous fine static laden particles. Removal of SEGS slabbed coins precipitated use of my multi-speed fine toothed miniature band saw. It is the optimum device for SEGS slab opening.

JMHO

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Just curious, does anyone have any experience with SEGS' authentication? Not interested in sending, just...curious that's all.

21. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Thanks. I think I may look to see which SEGS coins are avail at a great price and crack them......

Draft saved Draft deleted