Post a coin you wish you had never sold

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coppertoning, Feb 10, 2013.

1. coppertoning

coppertoning Well-Known Member

I have more than one but I will start with this FE. Nice coin which had attractive toning and semi prooflike surfaces. Oh and not to mention the fully rotated die. I did make a tidy profit and added to my lincolns but I would love to have it back. You can click the pic to enlarge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I don't sell, so I'm exempt. :thumb:

4. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Easy, my 1883 cc I bought in Colorado with my dad. it really wasnt something special and I actually sold it because it was in a holder that made it an odd ball for my collection. So my regret is sentimental.

5. coppertoning

I have a morgan dollar that my dad's first grade teacher gave him. Worth melt but i will not sell that one.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

Alas, no pictures, but when I was about 15 a lady on my paper route paid me with a 1921-D Walker. It was between VG and F. I sold it at a coin show for $50 and used the money to buy a pair of Head skis. Here some 50 years later I no longer ski but still collect coins.

peace,

rono

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. MisterPostman

MisterPostman Member

My father gave me a raw 1931-S Lincoln when I was about 16. It was at least AU, maybe MS60+ Sold it with most of my collection when I was about 20. I should have kept that coin for sentimental reasons.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Sold a page of 20 seated half dollars in the 1980's and they were XF - AU and I sold an 1875 CC 20 cent pc. same time.
    All of those have skyrocketed in price since but I was getting a good price when I sold them. Of course I needed the money at the time but looking back I would have rather cleaned horse stalls for what I got instead and kept them.

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I usually don't either, and i can remember every one that has left my posession by gift, trade, etc. Tears me up. If i eger start selling coins, it will be the day i just quit coin collecting. I get too attached. :(

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

What is this supposed to mean?

Well, the post of that quote above has disappeared. Thanks for removing it.

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Btw Op, gorgeous coin. I cwn see why you wished you still had it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

1920MS64FB10CTRUEVIEWMaxNoBR-1.jpg 1920MS64FB10CTRUEVIEWMaxNoBR-2.jpg

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. coppertoning

15. iGradeMS70

Yup, and it was even prettier in-hand. I made the coin - graded 64FB first time through the TPG house.

Purchased it raw for bid, and even though I turned a hefty profit, I really wish I could have held onto it for a little while longer.

But I needed the $$$ for a car :(

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. iGradeMS70

Nah, just a weak rim. Typical of the date/mm.

17. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Here is 1 of mine - I collected Patterns the past 4 years - I sold them all to help open my business this last year.

1868 Judd-608 Proof 65 1 cent

similar to the 3c Nickel of the period.

Attached Files:

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I know I bought some from you and I felt like I was adopting your children.

19. FinneusFalcor

FinneusFalcor New Member

The worst coin selling mistake I ever made, was selling my 1928-P Peace Dollar (VF30).
    My my wife lost her teaching job a couple years ago, and we were desperate for money.
    I made $300 on it, but I miss that coin dearly and will replace it one day.

The wife finally did get a teaching job, but it was bittersweet. She had 10 yrs experience and a Master's Degree, so all she get was an online teaching job.
    But better than nothing! :)

20. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This was a gorgeous Pilgrim with the ship sailing on a rainbow sea. Sorry about the old 2002 Heritage scans, all I have to remember it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted