Post A Coin That Reminds You Why You Collect Coins!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Evan8, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of coins I acquired in the early seventies. First is a roll find that I had to break the wrapper to remove it. I thought I scored a nickel, lol.
    1944 obv.jpg 1944rev.jpg

This next one was given to me by my Grandmother. She pulled it out of her garden in upstate NY in the early 60's. Oh, and it's not copper for those who have never seen it posted before. IMG_0007_1.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    And last is my favorite Morgan Dollar die I picked up a couple of years ago that started my '83-O quest.
    1883O3vam1C2rev.JPG

Stevearino, Puckles, green18 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I collect because:

Bela IV AR Denar Hungary.jpg
    Bela IV of Hungary

It is awesome to own coins of famous and colorful rulers, like this coin of Bela IV of Hungary, one of the most famous and important kings of Medieval Eastern Europe.

ME71865.jpg
    Bohemond III

I collect because it is cool to hold in my bare hands coins that people were using during key moments in history...like this coin from the Principality of Antioch, from the time of the Crusades.

Plautilla.jpg
    Plautilla

I collect because it is incredible to own coins commemorating events and cultures that have long passed into obscurity through the passage of millennia after millennia. Imagine what the world was like nearly 2000 years ago when this coin was fresh off the Roman mint.

Lion Cherronesos Thrace Hemidrachm.jpg
    Cherronesos lion

And I collect ancients because modern coins can't approach the beauty and mystery of coins whose dies were hand carved, and whose blanks were hand struck over two millennia ago by skilled celators, and whose works of art can still be appreciated 2,400+ years later in the form of the coins they left behind for us.

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Great coins! Love to see them.

I have way too many that I would like to add to the thread, but I'm going to add two coins that I bought purely because the resonated with me. I'm not putting sets together for either of these denominations.

This has an even, copper toning on both sides. It's more evident in the picture of the reverse. It's lustrous and I love it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not a barber fan, but I do like the looks of this coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, Puckles, Johndoe2000$ and 4 others like this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

What is that large cent made out of? Is it a contemporary counterfeit?

Stevearino likes this.
  6. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Here are a few of mine:

20c 1875-CC NGC AU55.jpg 1853 ANACS AU58.jpg 1861 ANACS AU55.jpg 1870 J885 PCGS PF64 RB 2.jpg 1876 ANACS MS62.jpg 1876 ANACS MS64.jpg 1891 NGC AU58 Star 1.jpg

dwhiz, robec, charlietig and 6 others like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to collect US commemorative (classic) issues. Early on, I was satisfied with '64 ('58) grades but I've since 'upped the ante' to '65 or better. It's a progression we all go through at one time or another, as we graduate from the mundane and seek higher quality.

DSC_1253.JPG DSC_1254.JPG DSC_2839.JPG DSC_2840.JPG

dwhiz, robec, Hommer and 8 others like this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

I believe it to be a contemporary counterfeit and I'm not sure what it's made of. One of these days I would love to get it under an XRF analyzer.

Evan8 likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Wow that Judd pattern is incredible and the obverse die crack on the 1876 is outstanding. I really like terminal die state coins. :)

10. Puckles

Puckles Cat Whisperer

11. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Probably my favorite (Yes, the reverse is rotated)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwhiz and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Not rare by any means, just nicely struck and patinated. I love the depiction of Athena on the reverse. Gordian III and Tranquillina marriage issue, Anchialus, Thrace.

Gordian and Tranquillina Anchialos.jpg

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This may seem odd coming from a Classic fan like myself, but this - my only Modern (a set) - is the one in my collection which most means "collecting" to me:

MoDDollarObvsml.JPG

MoDDollarRevsml.JPG

It's commemorating a subject which is near and dear to my heart, and is a gift from my closest friend. I don't own anything related to numismatics of greater importance to me.

rooman9 and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted