Post a coin related to an actual historical event!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Had to go grab the image for this one

Sassanian Empire
    Yazdegerd III
    Sakastan mint, RY20 (651)
    20181218_Sassanian-Yazgard-III-drachm (1).jpg

Taking the Sassanian throne as a boy after a deeply damaging civil war and on the eve of the Arab invasion, Yazdegerd III never really had much of a chance. He blew off his last opportunity to save his empire when he dismissed the Arab invaders as nothing more than bandits from the desert. His defeats on the battlefield became progressively more damaging until his empire crumbled out from beneath him. When this coin was minted in 651, he was no longer fighting but fleeing for his life - the bulk of his empire had already fallen, except for a few cities in the East. Probably around the time this coin was minted, Sakastan turned him away, preferring to negotiate with the Arab invaders rather than make a last stand with their Shah. Yazdegerd III then fled to Merv, where he was killed by a local miller for his purse.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This coin was posted before. It is a Parthinian tetradrachm of Orodes II, Seleukia on the Tigris, 57-38 BCE. The reverse commemorates his conquest of the city of Seleukia and the defeat and death of his his rival and elder brother Mithridates IV.

Kings of Parthia, Orodes II AR Tetradrachm. Seleukia on the Tigris, 57-38 BC. Diademed and draped bust left / King enthroned right, Tyche kneeling before him, holding sceptre; monogram above, [letters] in exergue. Sellwood 45.3-8. 13.10g, 27mm, 12h.

I have a sestertius of Vespasian, Judaea Capta, ex David Michaels and certified by David Sear. I need to photograph the coin and hope to do so soon, once I stop procrastinating and buy a digital camera.

Orodes II Tetradrachm, Roma 68.jpg

4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a really nice portrait of Probus on the second coin.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This one is opposite yours. Precious metal coins of this issue have doors on the front but AE is right or left.
    rb1125fd3268hd.jpg

6. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Thank you for noticing! I corrected my mistake :)

This coin celebrates Maximinus Thrax´ spectacular German victory of 235 a.D that included the recently re-discovered battle at the Harzhorn and his achievement of being the last Roman general who led a Roman army to the Elbe river:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-30 um 12.37.44.png

MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM - laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Maximinus right
    VICTORIA GERMANICA - Maximinus, in military attire, standing left, his right hand raised, holding spear in left, German captive seated left at his feet, looking back, emperor crowned by Victory standing left behind him, also holding palm.
    Sestertius, Rome ca. September-December 236
    32,34 mm / 21,64 gr
    RIC 93; BMCRE 198 and pl. 40; Cohen 114; MIR 26-5

Here is my writeup on his campaign:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ma...-germanica-the-battle-at-the-harzhorn.306344/

...and on my visit to the battle site:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/vi...attlefield-and-göttingen-coin-cabinet.316487/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    eparch, Roman Collector, Bing and 8 others like this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Trajan Crossing the Danube

Trajan: the Best Emperor and the Mystery of the River God
    83A433C2-2630-47C0-B493-0B9E0F1EC360.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Trajan (AD 98 – 117)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 107 – 108
    Dia.: 19.1 mm
    Wt.: 2.94 g
    Obv.: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TR P; Trajan laureate bust right, left shoulder draped.
    Rev.: COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC; Danube, velificatio, reclining on rocks, right hand holding the prow of a ship. Left arm resting on overflowing container of water. DANVVIVS in exergue.
    Ref.: RIC II 100

Commemorating Hadrian’s Trip to Africa

Hadrian: Benefactor of Africa
    F3D45DA2-DA66-4853-AEFA-39EFF1E44358.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Hadrian (AD 117 – 138)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 134 – 138
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Wt.: 2.98 g
    Obv.: HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AFRICA; Africa with elephant headdress reclining left, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of grain at feet
    Ex L. Rose Collection

Antoninus Pius’s Dedication of a Temple to his Deceased Wife

D148CB58-88AA-4FEB-A252-9493B18AC851.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Diva Faustina I (Died ca. AD 141)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck after AD 141
    Obv.: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA; bust right, hair elaborately styled.
    Rev.: DEDICATIO AEDIS; Hexa-style Temple of the Divine Faustina showing podium, statues etc.
    Ref.: RIC III 388, Rare

Marcus Aurelius’s Victory in Germania

2A73D0BA-66A1-4E3A-A421-77CA9E871780.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Marcus Aurelius
    AR denarius, Rome mint, struck AD 173
    Dia.: 19 mm
    Wt.: 3.31 g
    Obv.: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII; Laureate head right
    Rev.: IMP VI COS III; German captive seared left at foot of trophy
    Rev.: RIC 280
    Ex Walter Stoecklin Collection (before 1975); Ex Orfew Collection

Philip I Entry into Rome as Emperor

My First ADVENTVS Coin
    903D9773-DF81-4FD9-BFB2-991B023711B9.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
    AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
    Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
    Ref.: RIC IV 26b
    Ex. Savoca 23rd Blue Auction (Aug. 2019)

Draft saved Draft deleted