Post a coin & name something you are thankful for

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

38048608_Max.jpg For Thanksgiving show a picture of a coin and name something NON-NUMISMATIC that you are thankful for.

The coin is a silver Sceat from Northumbria, it was minted at York in the AD 700s Spink-802.

I am thankful to have a day off to spend with my family.

Sulla80, bcuda, Deacon Ray and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    circa 344-340 BCE per CNG's cataloger; 380-345 BCE per Cote/Ratto;
    AR nomos (didrachm); 21 mm, 7.72 gm, 9h
    Obv: Warrior, holding small shield in left hand, dismounting from horse galloping left; horizontal T below
    Rev: Phalanthos (Taras?), holding helmet in right hand, riding dolphin left; TAPAΣ to upper right, I and waves below
    Ref: Fischer-Bossert group 47, 657 (V252/R509); Vlasto 437 (same dies); HN Italy 876; Côte 152
    Ex Dr. Spencer Paterson Collection of Ancient Coins, Sept 2019
    Slabbed prior to its most recent sale to me and quickly de-slabbed upon arrival; NGC XF, 5/5, 4/5, Fine Style.
    Prior sales: CNG's Coin shop (date unknown); Roma Auction 6 lot 327 (Sept 2013)

I'm thankful for family, especially for an 87 year old mother who I enjoy talking to every day, and will soon enjoy seeing every day :).

I'm thankful for friends, especially the numerous people on CoinTalk who are a constant source of fun, education, and camaraderie.

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's a Thanksgiving-themed coin depicting Uberitas, the personification of agricultural fertility. She holds a purse and cornucopiae, symbols of prosperity.

Trebonianus Gallus VBERITAS AVG Antioch antoninianus.jpg
    Trebonianus Gallus VBERITAS AVG antoninianus Sulzer listing.JPG

I am grateful that there is medication for my father's myasthenia gravis. He went from having a difficult time getting out of a chair to being able to shovel snow thanks to his medication.

Sulla80, bcuda, Trish and 13 others like this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Here is one of my more recent acquisitions I have yet to photograph (I’m Quite behind on taking photos - will need to take some time doing that as we head into Top Ten season). So here is the seller’s photo:
    F82D9E14-D05D-435D-861F-4BF95F9028DB.jpeg
    Provincial Rome - Thrace
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D.
    Perinthus, AE 35 Medallion, 35 mm x 26.52 grams
    Obv.: [AVT K M AVP CЄ]OVHP ANTΩNINOC AVΓ, radiate head right
    Rev.: ΠЄPINΘIΩN NEΩKOPΩN, agonistic table surmounted by two prize urns, each containing palm; below, five balls and amphora

I’ve also been a little reliant on the seller’s description - there is clearly some letters above the urns, but without the coin in hand at the moment, I can’t really make it out.

Life has admittedly been a little difficult lately, and has kept me from enjoying this hobby as much as I would like (just little time to engage in coining, hence why I haven’t been too active here for a while). But I am still thankful for this community, and for my wife who keeps up with the little things that I forget.

Sulla80, bcuda, Nathan401 and 11 others like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Well here is a Decius with Abundantia holding a cornucopia - which seems appropriate for the day. I am thankful for family and friends, and the fact that my Mom at age 81 is still in good health.

decius1.jpg

decius2.jpg

Sulla80, bcuda, Nathan401 and 9 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

VALENTIA.jpg
    VALENTIA, ROMAN PROVINCIAL
    AE As
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head Roma right, TRINI L F Q before. T AHI T F behind
    REVERSE: Cornucopia on thunderbolt within wreath; VALEN-TIA
    Struck at Valentia, Spain 138 BC
    11.4g, 27mm
    CNH pg. 317, 4; Burgos 2512

I'm thankful for my wife and sons, and all the blessings the good Lord has bestowed upon me and my family.

8. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I’m very thankful for my wife and for our 2-year old boy. And I’m thankful for the great meal with family tonight. And in honor of the holiday, here is Constantine pictured shortly after his Thanksgiving dinner.
    43DA3924-6299-407F-B605-916773EA7249.jpeg
    Constantine I, AE Follis, Cyzicus circa 313, (22mm., 3.61g.) Laureate head right/ Rev. Jupiter standing left, holding Victory, and eagle standing left with wreath. RIC 3.

9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Health & Salvation.

Attached Files:

Sulla80, Shea19, Nathan401 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Here’s a fun un I just won:
    3B17AE63-D4E0-451A-83C1-34516CA39B20.jpeg
    MOESIA INFERIOR. Callatis. Pseudo-autonomous. Time of Antoninus Pius to Marcus Aurelius (138-180). Ae.
    Obv: Helmeted and draped bust of Athena right, wearing aegis.
    Rev: ΚΑΛΛΑΤΙΑΝΩΝ.
    Shield between club and quiver.
    RPC IV online 8359; AMNG I 267. Very Fine 3.28gr, 16.78mm
    From a Private German Collection. Ex Ares numismatics

I am so grateful for my wife and three little guys. And of course all my CT pals for being so fun and willing to share not only their beautiful coins but also, and even more valuable, their knowledge. Thanks guys and gals:D

Sulla80, bcuda, Nathan401 and 7 others like this.
  11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Perseus Ar Tetradrachm 179-172 B.C. HGC 1091 Obv head of Perseus right diademed. Rv Eagle standing right wings open within oak wreath 16.63 grms 25 mm. Bought in 2017. perseus5.jpg I have had a very difficult year but still there is a lot to be grateful for. For my age I am in good health. I still enjoy my hobby, have very good friends, and can still travel. I feel that I have some good reason to get up from bed every morning.

Sulla80, bcuda, wrappedinsky and 8 others like this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Ancient Chinese San Zhu.

D946B9AC-2F4E-4824-8FBF-225B826E820A.jpeg

I’m thankful for being on track to graduate from college in two weeks with no student debt and a great job lined up right after. :)

Sulla80, Carausius, bcuda and 10 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow! That's quite a coup! Congrats, and best wishes for a fantastic career!

Sulla80, bcuda and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  14. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

Here is a hilderic nummis Carthage 523-30

my whole family, my blessings, my beautiful gf of almost two years and all my friends on this wonderful site 953CFA7C-BD43-4D39-B7F8-5CE61852F04D.jpeg

Sulla80, TIF, bcuda and 5 others like this.
  15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Way to plan and good luck with all future endeavors

Sulla80, bcuda and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  16. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I’m thankful for everything I’ve been blessed with, there are too many things to name or count.

I’m especially thankful for my CT family.

E9C297CE-9D2C-4641-9388-F0E05A82B0A5.jpeg 40C450F3-5AF7-4CBD-B513-8FB4B5C79494.jpeg

Gotta love the jogging pants background. :p

Erin

17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin, and excellent post, @Aethelred ! Here is one of my flip labels and one of the many Nabataean coins featuring the double cornucopia motif.

PETRA_COIN_N.jpg

I could overload the CoinTalk Forum storage server with the things I’m thankful for. Here’s one: I’m thankful that I’m not living in the woods and eating out of dumpsters. I’m also thankful that I am in a position to help those who are.

18. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

a beautiful coin and a great idea for holiday thread.
    SELEUCIS PIERIA.jpg
    I have many reasons to be thankful, many familiar from other posts in this thread, and @Deacon Ray puts it nicely in perspective. First on my mind this year is my son graduating from college and starting a first "real job" that he is excited about. + fun with ancient coins on CT. Best wishes to all.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted