Post a Classic Commemorative

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by calcol, Jul 25, 2020.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

To lead off: pics of my Pan Pac gold dollar. PCGS MS63. Foggy areas in pics are due to an etched slab. I'll get it a new suit someday. :)

Let's see yours.

Cal obv.jpg rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Much more humble than the first post, but here's my contribution...

CM1946S-051.001obv.jpg CM1946S-051.001rev.jpg

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Here's one of mine that I'm really proud of -

Stone Mtn 1925 Great Harvest Campaign RAW (Custom).jpg

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's two of mine, both from the 1915 Panama Pacific Int'l Expo in San Francisco! On the gold dollar, I have the before and after pics so I included them. The half dollar is in a details slab but that's okay, it's mine and I'm happy with it! :D

$_222222257.JPG $_5666666667.JPG inpanpacdex.jpg inpanpacsdex.jpg 1915OBV4859811-O.jpg 1915Rev4859811-R.jpg

8. Beefer518

That's the FS-501 variety if I'm seeing it correctly (pic does enlarge enough).

9. fretboard

Please, educate me, what you talkin' bout Willis? ;)

10. Beefer518

On your Pan-Pac half, the S/S mintmark. There are 2 RPM's, the FS501 and the FS502. See the images for what they are, but from what I can tell, your S/S is the 501.

Pan-Pac-RPM-FS-501-2.jpg FS502.jpg

Kurisu, Penny Luster and dwhiz like this.
  11. fretboard

Wow, that's some intricate detail there, amazing what I learn on here! :D btw, what is the N.Car 244 mean on your Stone Mountain up there? Nice half dollar! :cigar:

12. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

13. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Here is a pretty much mark free Connecticut with a slight toning.
    Bridgeport 1.jpg Bridgeport.jpg

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Counterfeit just for fun.
    panpac-o.jpg pacnpac-r.jpg

15. Beefer518

See here: Grade this Great Harvest Campaign Cherrypick

fretboard likes this.
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great threads everyone thanks. Be safe

17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is an 1893 Columbian half dollar and a leather pouch in which it was sold. It is my understanding that these pouches, which come in several varieties, were not an official package. Still you see coins sold with them from time to time.

The pouch is leather so the coin is toned. Many of these coins have dark toning, this might be one of the reasons why.

It does not show in the picture, but the coin does have some P-L characteristics under the toning.

1892 Columbian Expo pouch.jpg 1893 Columbian pouch O.jpg 1893 Columbian pouch R.jpg

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Nice photos to all. I would like to get some more older commemoratives. It seems that they have all been dealt out and there are very few in the market and those are beyond my means.

HoledandCreative likes this.
  20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These are loads of them around, and they are always available for a price. Those prices have been getting lower in recent years because the market for the "classic commemoratives" (1892 to 1954) has been in the dog house for years.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford up to $100 a coin, you can get a fair number of them. Take a look on some the recent price guides. They will give you and idea. Dealers should be read to deal because the market has been weak.

HoledandCreative likes this.
  21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The only 2 Pan Pac issues I can afford. The dollar is PCGS 65, OGH CAC. The half is P 63 if I remember, but the toning is original to the velvet lined holders these were sold in.
    Pan-Pac 1915 s  obv.jpg Pan-Pac 1915 s  rev.jpg pan pac dollar obv.jpg pan pac dollar rev.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted