Possibly a 1999 wide "AM" penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GARY R COYIER, Jul 9, 2020.

1. GARY R COYIER

GARY R COYIER Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's a worn die strike. Hard to see the last number.
    And it would be AM not Am. Capital M.

GARY R COYIER likes this.
  4. GARY R COYIER

Grease filled die, but can anyone see a number in the date?

5. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Could it be 1991? That's what I think it looks like. But either way, it's a really nice greaser.

6. GARY R COYIER

It could be a 1 or maybe a 4... wishing it was a 9, but wishing doesn't make it so. LOL. Thought maybe someone here on CT could see something I am not.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I sure can't tell what the last number is. Maybe try doing a pencil rub lightly on the date to see what comes up?

8. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

LincolnCent-ODV036-markers.jpg

It's a 1991, ODV-036. The 1991 cents were minted with this design variety apparent by the protrusion and defined bowtie. In 1992, the bowtie was revised further to a less defined fold and the adam's apple not as defined. 1993-1999, the throat and bowtie are flattened.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a wide AM but that is a nice greaser.

john65999 and GARY R COYIER like this.
  10. GARY R COYIER

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer.

rascal likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Was ODV-036 used in 1990? because that's the date I'm seeing.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If if you could prove it was a 4 (it isn't) that would be amazing because there are no 1994 WAM cents known or even reported.

13. GARY R COYIER

Never said if it was a 4 or that it would be a WAM. Just was replying to another member when they thought it was a 1,(and I said, "or maybe a 4") I said if it was a 9, (wishing) it could be a WAM. Seems like some members on CT just like to correct other members posts to make themselves look more impressive. A lot of people who post in error coins seems to be "newbies" to coin collecting like myself. I have made wrong statements and appreciate the knowledge from those with more expertise. (NPCoin) I don't believe you were trying share with me your knowledge, but to "knock down , to build yourself up". If that was not your intent, but to teach, I apologize.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

15. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Looks like a one to me.

16. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

As with 1991, 1990 was a single year design variety. According to James Wiles' Variety Vista, the only significant change from ODV-034 to ODV-035 (1990) was the "strengthened upper beard detail".

Here is a comparative between the two years:
    LincolnCent-ODV036-compared-ODV037.jpg
    ODV-037 is also a single year for 1992 which has a more flattened bottom of the bowtie, but still with a little curve on the bottom depicting the folds at the end, ODV-038, which was used from 1993-1996, flattens the bowtie and neck area even further into more "straight" lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted