Possible Upgrade Candidate?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikem2000, Dec 9, 2012.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I have had this coin for a while, and I always thought it was better then the assigned grade. It is currently in a PCGS MS 63 FH OGH. Do you folks think this coin will upgrade? This is one of the coins I am planning on selling early next year so I would be looking for maximum return. I also had another thought, instead of sending it in for an upgrade, just send it to CAC. It would be cheaper, add value if it stickers, and there is the small chance it could get the Gold bean. Your thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

Unless that is wear on the eagle's wing, then yes, send it to CAC.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Can't tell much about the luster. If it has nice luster, I could see it in a 64 holder. Great looking coin. I would leave it as is but that's me.

5. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Break it free from it's plastic cage and enjoy it, don't worry about what 3rd party opinions think of it.

6. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

From what I can see it looks like a great coin and I think it should at least be an MS64. I don't think you could go wrong by taking a chance on this one. I'd send it in to try my chances for a gold bean. However this is just my opinion and I'm going by the appearance of the pics. Great coin no matter what happens though, Good Luck!!

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This coin may be a super slider that was silently net graded to MS63. The surfaces appear to much nicer than MS63 but there does appear to wear both on the eagle's wing on the reverse and liberty's right leg and knee. I don't think it will upgrade but the CAC idea is a good one IMO.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The OP clearly stated that he is planning to sell this coin within the next few months. Did you miss that part, or are you really suggesting that he should crack the coin prior to selling?

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You try for a green bean.... gold beans are pudding.

Leave as-is and send to Jersey.

10. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Actually gold-beans add a huge premium to certain coins. An amazing SLQ is no exception. It's all about cost and benefit. I agree there is a chance that it might come back as-is but if there is a chance for a gold bean (which there probably is) then you might want to take it. The risk is I think around $10 but the benefit of a gold bean is a significant premium. Of course that is JMHO. In the end it's up to whoever owns the coin.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I think it's an AU58 in an MS63 holder given the fact that there is a line going down Ms. Liberty's right (viewer's left) leg, which is the area to show rub from wear first. Send it to CAC to see if they like it enough for a green sticker, but do not be tempted to crack this coin out of its slab in an attempt at upgrade. If it receives a gold or green sticker and you would like to attempt an upgrade, then keep it in the holder for submission.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks everyone,

I believe I will be taking the CAC route and see what happens.

Mike

13. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Cool! Good luck and please keep us updated on what it comes back as.

Draft saved Draft deleted