Possible some new Roosevelt Hot Lips Varieties found

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1947 D HL.jpg 1947 S HL.jpg 1947 Roosevelt S MM.jpg I'm still waiting to hear back from James Wiles on two coins I sent him an 1964 P Roosevelt hot lip Variety. However a friend of mine sent me 3 new toned Unc. Roosevelt dimes for my set as a birthday gift. The 47 P & S both have what looks to be the hot lips variety. so two more maybe to add to the list of dates known. The S dime MM has me wondering if it's a repunch.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

Wow.you must have the eyes of an eagle,how many hot lips variety have you found so far?
    I never knew about it until i read your post a few weeks ago.
    I used to relate hot lips to Mick[emoji105]Jagger,not any more,here comes Paddy54.Well done.[emoji106]

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

loopy,

The most well-known "Hot Lips" is the 1888-O VAM-4 Morgan dollar.

http://www.vamworld.com/1888-O+VAM-4

Chris

loopytoad74 likes this.
  5. loopytoad74

Thank you Chris,I just had a look and WOW...quite extreme but I suppose if people aren't aware of it then they might not see it.
    Is it known what coins this variety can be found on or is it unique to only a few.?

6. cpm9ball

Theoretically, this type of doubling could happen on any denomination. You will note that the doubling on the Morgan dollar is strongly toward the north whereas the doubling on the Rosie is to the west.

Just recently, a 1919-P Merc was discovered with strong doubling on IGWT to the east. This coin has been around for 96 years, but is just now being discovered. The point is that you just have to keep looking. You never know when you will find that "Discovery Coin".

Chris

tommyc03 and loopytoad74 like this.
  7. loopytoad74

96 year's worth of eyes and hands,and no one noticed.
    Just when you think you have checked all your coins,a new variety pop's up and out they come again.
    Thankyou for the info,being a beginner,the knowledge on here is priceless.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

FWIW, only two of the 1919-P Merc's have been found. Who know's how many may still be laying around in grandpa's coin albums.

Chris

9. loopytoad74

And so the hunt shall go on and on and on an...[emoji188][emoji188] [emoji188] [emoji188] [emoji188]

Draft saved Draft deleted