Possible Shill Bidding?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by vtvick777, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Use eBay and ask him if he's shilling for L&C Coins!

http://myworld.ebay.com/alanmoncpa

Better yet, use eBay to contact L&C Coins and ask them if they're employing shills?

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen&iId=290749378620&recipient=lccoins

The seller has 77,484 feedback since 1999, is well respected in the Coin Community, has an abundance if repeat customers (I'm one), and has a great selection of Modern Coins.

and yet.....the OP is whining because s/he didn't win a $7.00 LMC in 69DCAM (which costs $10 to get graded) for $4.93?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...t=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Next time, if you're going to bid.......bid.

Oh yeah, when researching bids, use some common sense (instead of knee jerk reactions) and actually do some research.
    You'll see that the "shill" who outbid you actually placed his bid (which may very well have been more than $5.00) at Jul-30-12 at 19:34:39 PDT
    You, on the other hand, placed your "place holder bid" on Jul-25-12 at 17:51:06 PDT
    18 seconds before bidding ended, you slammed down a mind blowing $3.78 bid at Jul-30-12 19:36:00 PDT
    Getting out bid, you quickly regrouped and 11 seconds later threw down another record setting bid of $4.93 only to lose out to the "shill" who'd
    placed his bid a full minute and a half before you started your game winning snipes!

Analyzing lccoins eBay feedback, you'll be able to figure out exactly who won what. When you figure that out, go to the winners feedback. See who else he's bought from. It's all right there.

Then, perhaps, you can accuse coin*diva of using this a***n (933) as a "shill". Then maybe you can do the same to datentype?

Let the lynching begin!

Possible shill bidding? I hardly think so.

Disgruntled underbidder looking to get something for nothing? ---- Bingo!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

+1 !

4. 19Lyds

Very perceptive Erik.

Lets see,

lccoins has been with ebay since June 22, 1999. By my calculations, thats 157 months.

So, 77,454/157 = $493.34 a month.

Not too shabby a haul for this dealer over the past 13 years. Do you suppose thats enough to cover their Coin World Advertising?

5. 19Lyds

Ask Mr. 7381 yourself using eBAY: http://myworld.ebay.com/noel8968

6. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think you can get much more simple and accurate than that.

7. 19Lyds

Identifying a shill.

You place a max bid of $100. (eBay will bid "upto" this amount but never higher than 1 bid increment over an underbidder.)
    Your underbidder has placed a max bid of $5.00
    The high bid on the item now registers as $5.50

A shill would come in and bid $10.00 which would bump your bid to $10.50
    The shill then bids $20.00 which bumps your bid to $20.50
    The shill then bids $30.00 which bumps your bid to $31.00
    The shill bids $75.00 which bumps your bid to $76.00
    The shill then bids $110 which gets him in the lead and the bid on the item upto $102.50
    The shill then retracts his bid and sets a reminder to bid $99.00 just before the auction ends.
    You end up winning the items for $100 and you've just been shilled.

Long time dealers, on the other hand, have regular "customers" who return on a regular basis.
    I purchased my Portrait Kennedy Proofs from only 3 dealers over a period of time.
    I purchased my 40th Anniversary IKE's from the same 3 dealers over a period of time.

Does this make me a shill?

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:devil:eBay + shill bidding can be done very easy all you need is 1-3 buddy's with accounts or 1-3 buddy's also have cell phones with web to go.
    I had it happen to me twice I know of.

9. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I actually noticed this exact same example (same seller-same buyer) and thought it was odd. Suspicious is probably too strong... just my opinion. It didn't bother me too much as I did exactly what another poster here does, I bid my max and if I didn't win it.....oh well.

There have been MANY more egregious examples of shill bidding I've ran into on e-bay. AND I've NEVER lost a coin I really wanted in my collection due to shill bidding.

Draft saved Draft deleted