Possible Real 1944 steel penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Oddnumistics, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Oddnumistics

Oddnumistics Member

Ok guys so I just recently received this. I can't say where. The the question is, do you think it is real?
    It looks to have some copper showing on the back part of Lincoln's head and maybe a little on the reverse. I used one of the strong magnets on the back of those lights you can stick to a car and it will stay on there. Figured it was a strong enough of a magnet to test it. It stuck immediately and fairly strongly. Sooo yeah! HELP IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0090.JPG :banghead:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Definitely plated, not a 1944 struck on a steel planchet.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not a chance. That is 100% plated.

Stevearino and Lawtoad like this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

It is 102% NOT real it! It looks like someone spray painted it with metallic silver paint

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just another plated 44 wheat - like those old roman coins that were plated with silver over copper - can't remember the name!!

OH wait - I re-found my senior moment - the Romans would silver or gold plate low cost metal rounds (planchets?) and they were called "Fourees".

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I think you have your answer when you notice copper peaking out from everywhere on the piece.

9. Markus1959

Right - according to B.B.King - "The thrill is gone".

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Oddnumistics

Oddnumistics Member

So the uber thin layer of silver plating would make it really stick to a magnet?

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

12. Markus1959

Silver is not magnetic - neither is nickle. Would have to be some kind of ferrous alloy

13. Oddnumistics

Oddnumistics Member

So wouldn't that lean to steel? Which is magnetic

14. Markus1959

Yes - but not pure steel that would rust. Would have to have carbon added to it to make either high carbon steel or stainless steel which most coins were plated with SS as it doesn't rust and can be polished to a high sheen.

Lawtoad likes this.
  15. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

When you say "possible real steel penny", it makes me think that you think you've found a rarity. Perhapse you're thinking that this is a 1944 cent that got struck on a steel planchet like the ones which were used for the 1943 cents. I don't even know if that ever happened, but If this is what you're thinking then no, this is not a real steel cent from 1944. The steel cents, like the 1943 cent, were 100% steel with a zinc coating. No copper whatsoever used in the alloy.

Yes, a thin layer of steel plating would make it stick to a magnet. It's a plated copper 1944 cent though.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nickel is magnetic. It's not magnetic when it's alloyed with copper, which is why US nickels don't stick to magnets. Pure nickel coins, like some Canadian issues, do.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone plated it with something after it left the mint. It has a value of one cent.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Heavily plated with nickel. Pure nickel is STRONGLY magnetic, almost as much as iron.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Markus1959

Yikes - another "senior moment" - forgot nickles are 75% copper.

20. Gail yoder

Gail yoder New Member

When was the 194 steel penny last found4

21. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Not even close. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted