Possible over inking?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Youngcoin, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everyone I found this bill while looking through some money of my dad's and it looks over inked, any input?

20171129_193518.jpg 20171129_193525.jpg 20171129_193552.jpg
    20171129_193408.jpg

I also wanted to say I have found a bill like this before and it was wayyy worse then this one you almost couldn't make out the 3 on either serial number line, I didn't think much of it and I am still kicking myself in the butt for it :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

very common over inking, even if it was a crisp note it would be worth nothing over face value. Keep looking Jacob.

Youngcoin likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yea... don't do that
    Just relax :facepalm:

Over inking does not make a $1.00 bill value go up to a trillion dollars :stop:

5. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Haha, thanks paddyman but it was a really nice example of it and a nice note, I don't care if it was worth 2 cents more, it's interesting!

And thanks Eric!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As other have said. It's not unusual and not worth a premium. I wouldn't bother saving a worn one like your pic, but if you think they're interesting and find a crisp one or if it looks a lot worse.

I would caution against saving too many. Remember, 50 $1 bills with minor over inking are going to be worth $50 years from now. But what if you used that $50 to buy a nice problem free coin(s) for your collection? I'm not suggesting what you should collect, just giving you something to think about

Youngcoin likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Very often a serial number can be light or dark.
    I am not sure this is considered over inking, the way some ink smear error bills are. Those types of smears can be faked and you would need an expert to determine if the ink is legit.

8. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I often check my circulated “ change” bills for errors (very minor errors like overinking or serial numbers that don’t line up). I know they will never be worth more than face. But I enjoy trying to put a series together. By series I mean the same type error from each of the feds. Or for instance collection an over inked 0 through 9, one each on different bills from the same fed. It’s just spmething I enjoy. Also, when I die the family does not have to find a trusted LCS to figure out what my collection is worth. They can just haul it to the nearist bank, and they know exactly what it is worth!

Youngcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted