Possible New Discovery 2015-D North Carolina ( Blue Ridge Parkway ) DDR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Jul 5, 2015.

1. GatorGann

GatorGann New Member

I agree with phankins11, it doesn't look like die doubling or machine doubling to me. I look at bunches of coins under my microscope and you see this kind of thing on some strikes.

Usually die doubling shows up best in dates and lettering but with the incuse on the reverse of these it may not show up as well. The doubling will have a rounded look identical to the main image.

As everyone knows machine doubling results in a step-like image where the die actually bounces on the coin. This really doesn't look like that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

So far I've found 3 of post #1 and all the rest are post #16 ...

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me, it looks like the edge of the flower that the mint tried to give some depth to. You stated that when you shifted, "the scope and light the doubling seems to be gone". That alone is an indication that it is not doubling. Perhaps MD, but not a DD. I only have the photos you posted to look at. You might consider taking some of them to a local dealer and get his opinion.

5. Rick Stachowski

I live in Michigan and Ken Potter is my friend and neighbor . We have a local show show next month and I will see him then . I stated nothing about shifting any coin for different angle of the doubling, somebody else stated that, not me ....

6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

i'twer I who stated that...Rick, I'll be interested in hearing what you find out. Depending on what you guys figure out, I might ship some of mine up your way for examination.

I'm skeptical, but that typical for me. If You and Ken figure out that its really a DD then I'd like to have mine verified.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

I'll know next month, we have a show at the American Polish Cultural Center, on August 30, 2015 ...

phankins11 likes this.
  8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Here is a picture of one of the 2 that I found. 20150724_212318.jpg

9. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I think it's a play with lighting. I did send some pics of my die cracks and the possible doubling of the top of the leaf to Mr. Wexler and he wrote back that it's machine doubling on the top of the leaves and not in the right place to be doubling. See my thread about possible new error on the Blue Ridge.

I also believe what a lot of people are perceiving as doubling on the large leaves is really a lighting play. I think it's there but then rotating the coin it disappear, reappears. If you can use a loop and try to look at it from the edge of the coin and it stands out like a ledge, then maybe it is doubling but I highly doubt it.

DionHurst, non_cents and phankins11 like this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Show us some of the images you sent to Mr. Wexler, I would love to see them ....

Hommer likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

I just sent Mr. Wexler some images, I'll let everyone know what he thinks ..

91stang2 likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Well, I guess Mr. Wexler like it . Heres what he said :
    Hello Richard,

I've attached a copy of the guidelines for submitting coins in case you would like to submit them for listing.

John

Hommer likes this.
  13. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

14. Rick Stachowski

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  15. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

That's a GD sign!!!! When he asked me to send in the 2010 D it turned out to be the DDO. I didn't send it to him though and I would have had the first listing LOL. I went through ANACS. Other coins I shared with him he said looks like MD, but the one he said to send was a DDO.

16. Rick Stachowski

A lot of people don't understand single squeeze hubbing on DDRs ( quarters ) . Like I said if its not around the center of the reverse then its not a DDR ...

17. Rick Stachowski

Briboy07 likes this.
  18. Rick Stachowski

I'll use your own post, see how the one(s) I have are around the center of the reverse . I have at least 30 of theses, much better image then the last one ( post #16 ) a011-20150705_092534-2-jpg.424960.jpeg A008 - 20150731_081205 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  19. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

just because he sent this back to you mean absolutely NOTHING. if he was going to tell you for free yes or no he wouldn't charge $4. whether you are right or wrong he still wants to get paid for his time.

20. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All I see on the Denali is the Bighorn has his tongue out.

Draft saved Draft deleted