Possible new 1985p penny ddo?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chetjones, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Chetjones

Chetjones New Member

I found a 1985p penny earlier today that seems to have some strong doubling on the letters iber in liberty. Any ideas about this or any news of it? Could this possibly be a new discover if it is a DDO maybe?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Welcome to Coin Talk!

Need to have nice clear (in focus), close up pics to determine what you have.

4. Chetjones

Chetjones New Member

Thank you, I took some pics on my phone with a magnifier. I took a few different ones. I'll try to get them on my computer in a few mins so I can post them. I hope the clarity is good enough

5. Chetjones

Chetjones New Member

here are some pics, I'll try to get better ones

Attached Files:

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Hi, Chet. Welcome to CT.
    I think you have a coin struck with deteriorated dies. Common.
    May I recommend that you buy a copy of the Red Book. It'll teach you much, but please don't rely on their price guide.
    Other resources you might find interesting and useful is http://www.lincolncentresource.com/ and http://www.coppercoins.com/

And, as always, feel free to come here with any questions you may have. There's always plenty of fine folks here willing to help.

Happy hunting!

7. ikandiggit

8. Chetjones

Chetjones New Member

ok thanks, I'm kinda new to this and i just found my first doubled die a few days ago after searching what seemed like a million pennies lol. I'ts a 1995p lincoln memorial. Here are some pics

Attached Files:

9. ikandiggit

Now, that's a good one! Nice find!

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

+1!

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

12. Chetjones

Chetjones New Member

any idea what grade that could be in? and what it could be worth? it only has a few minor knicks, very few

13. WriterIN

WriterIN New Member

That is a beauty of a coin, congratulations!

Thar is a known doubled die, recognized by all major organizations. Coppercoins.com says: 1995P-1DO-001, Class 5, CONECA: 1-O-V Crawford: CDDO-001 Wexler: WDDO-001 FS#: 1c-040
    "This doubled die obverse shows a very strong spread from K-4 as a doubled LIBERTY and motto. Many examples of this die exist, helping to keep its value down."I'd say it is easily an AU coin, maybe higher. Again according to copper coins that would put it at a minimum of $15 value. Not a bad appreciation rate for a penny!

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The 1995 DDO retails at 30.00 and up in MS grades, and I paid 65.00 for one slabbed by PCGS in MS67 because I had the chance and I really loved it. Blue book value of one in MS63 is 4.00 and 18.00 in MS65. According to the Numismatic News guide of Apr 2012 retail is 30.00 in MS60 and 50.00 in MS65.

Draft saved Draft deleted