Possible Lg. 2 stamped above the 3 in 1983 date?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scottyk111, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

Hello. First post. I came across this Lincoln cent with what appears to be a large 2 stamped above the 3 in the 1983 date. There's also some strange measurement markings in black marker? Could this be some kind of experiment/1st piece test or double die of the number? Curious anyones thoughts? 20181113_212823.jpg 20181113_213024.jpg 20181113_213506-1.jpg 20181113_213506.jpg 20181113_213024-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

No. that is a plating blister mixed with a little pareidolia on your end.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

Thank you. I had to ask because the size and shape is surely embossed like a two

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto on pareidolia! ~ Chris

SamuelFred1 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Whoa.. If Avery would of seen this one it would of been a Dropped element thread! :hilarious:

Bluntflame and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

What's that suppossed to mean?

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It has nothing to do with you.. Don't worry.
    Another member thinks that every anomaly he finds is a dropped element. But you don't worry because you don't have that.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a plating blister that resumbles a 2 to you. The coin is Zinc and this is a common problem on them.

Welcome to CT.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just read the above comments. It was meant as a joke but in reality it's a shame. A dropped element is rare and you don't have one. Neither do I but that could change if I find one for sale that I like.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

These zinc coated cents are the worst for oddities like yours showing up. Plating blisters are common, so we think we see things in the shapes. Welcome to CT an keep looking at your change.

12. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

Thanks for all the input. I have a bunch of others that may be DD mint mark, copper dime, etc.
    I'm still pretty new because stamps are more of my hobby. I'll post more photos

Draft saved Draft deleted