Possible fake slab on Etsy.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Malleus Maleficarum, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

They have another 1893-S for sale now. o_O

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

4. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

The lettering is bad? Please explain, because I can't see the difference. I thought I did at first, but then realized it was a matter of one coin being closer to the camera than the other. And what's wrong with the paper?

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Me too. I've learned something today. That's what I like about this forum. I learn stuff that keeps me out of trouble.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  7. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Look at the two slabs where the label says "1893-S". The fake one's "3" is messed up and running into the dash. Look how clean it is on the real slab.

8. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yeah, I see it now. But I had also noticed (finally) that the numbers looked odd.

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Malleus Maleficarum likes this.
  10. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

What’s up with the 9 in the date? To me, that would’ve been a red flag.

11. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate? I'm not seeing a difference off hand.

12. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

Looks like there’s a tail of extra metal on the fake coin.

13. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

A site like Wish is probably where they get their junk from. The coins she sells on Etsy are not even good fakes. For $13.87 you can this, sell them and make a mint.

3 REAL001.jpg

JeffC likes this.
  14. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I wrote to the anti-counterfeiting place that some one here mentioned. I actually got a response! See below.

Thank you for filling out the report. Do you know how you identified the seller or how to look up other coins he may currently have up for sale. Did you buy a coin from this seller? If so do you have a return address/name?

Thanks again.

Doug Davis
    Anti-Counterfeiting Educational Foundation, Inc.
    Director, Anti-Counterfeiting
    Coordinator, Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force
    (Chief of Police Ret.)

Mobile: 817-723-7231
    Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 14080, Arlington, Texas 76094

15. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Hi Beefer518, you say "only one die used for the 1893-S"
    Can you tell me how you know this?
    So if that wasn't true, if maybe more than one die was used, then the "1" over the dentil wouldn't be a good way to tell it's a counterfeit?
    Most coins have more than one die used, right?

Also, what metal do you think they use for these counterfeits?

16. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Beefer518 may have another source but an article in Coin World magazine by Michael Fahey states only 1 Obverse and 2 Reverse dies were used in producing the 1893-S Morgan dollar. When I get home I'll try to pull up the article and post a link. It also gives other markers to identify counterfeit 93 S Morgans.

17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Why were they targeting that coin?
    Is there a source where all coins indicate dies used?

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

1893 S is called by many the "King of the Morgan Dollar series". It's a key coin with a low mintage of 100,000.
    Another member on a different thread said you can look up how many dies were used for every coin each year is in the US Mint records at the National Archives. If that's a true fact, the only 2 places that I know of where you can check in person is Washington DC and New York City.

19. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

@Rick B - Not sure where/when I first learned that, but it is a commonly known bit of trivia about the 1893-S Morgan. While the marker of the 1 centered above the dentil is one way to verify the coin, the first thing I look for when looking at a '93-S is the letter T, and the left base of the R, in liberty. there are chips/polish lines that is present on every 93-S, and because of their locations, it is almost impossible for them to be worn off/out, and incredibly difficult to be duplicated.

Here's an article from NGC about counterfeit detection of the 93-S.

And this is one source about number of obverse (1) and reverse (2) dies used, as well as a repeat of the NGC article.

Knowing the die marker(s) saved me many thousands once when I was at an auction house. Coin ended up being a fake/altered coin, and I was able to prove to the house based on the information out there.

20. Beefer518

The '93-S has been target for decades. It's a highly valuable coin in any grade, and worth in the thousands in any grade above G4. I'm sure many people lost a lot of money buying fake/altered/counterfeit 93-S's, and many more will as time goes on (unfortunately).

21. Beefer518

Oh... and one other indicator that it's fake - it's on etsy!

Magnus87 and Malleus Maleficarum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted