Possible fake slab on Etsy.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Malleus Maleficarum, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

I would like to know what this means also?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They would probably say we're the ones who are mentally defective, letting other people's rules control us.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

But at least these fake slabs are not an epidemic, amirite?

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

They may care, but (and I may be a bit cynical), what will they, or can they do about it? It's not like this is a new concern (counterfeit TPG slabs), it's been going on for at least a decade or two, but PCGS has been super slow to address the issue with any real changes. The other top tier TPG started imaging every coin that was graded, partially as a marketing ploy, but it also doubled as an avenue for collectors to protect themselves.

I'm really not arguing whether or not they care, but that they haven't done much to address it, that's my only 'beef' so to speak.

6. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

When you compare the 1893 to the real one I posted, you see a big difference. The fonts are different. The numbers are not in the same place. They're spaced differently. The 1 on the real one is perfectly above a dentil. The fake coins 1 is not.

I did send an e-mail to PCGS. I'm waiting to see if anything happens.

The seller and their collection of cheap fakes.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoinCreed?ref=l2-about-shopname

7. Beefer518

He was referring to the position of the 1 (in 1893) in relation to the dentils. Dentils are the "teeth" looking things around interior of the rim. It's one of the die characteristics.

Interestingly enough, I didn't need to scroll down to see the evidence of this coin/slab being fake. The "3" on the label is so far off from correct it's embarrassingly obvious.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  8. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Wow, yeah, look at that label "3"!

Beefer518 likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

I have the same complaints

Beefer518 likes this.
  10. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Wow, never would of come close to seeing or guessing that. ;)
    Just learned a tiny trick of the trade.. Thanx!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Not yet, but just wait awhile.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  12. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

13. Beefer518

That's an 1893-P, not a San Francisco mint, which is why there is a difference. There was only one die used for the 1893-S, and all 100,000 1893-S Morgans have the same die markers/characteristics.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Etsy should not be the middleman in the coin business.
    Contacting them is useless.
    I would never do business with this company for any reason,
    even on other goods they are selling.

Malleus Maleficarum likes this.
  15. Malleus Maleficarum

When investigating conterfeits. You have to compare it to a coin of the same year and MM. That's why I found a genuine version of the coin of the same year, MM and grade and posted it in the OP.

16. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thanks. Just looked at 3 1893-S's and they all had the "1" squarely above the dentil. The amount one has to learn in coin collecting is daunting! For instance that they only used one die. If they happened to use more than one, the fake might be harder to spot. I'm sure there are other things to see, but one sure needs to know their stuff!

John Skelton likes this.
  17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'm a little late on the reply, but on the genuine 93-s the 1 is almost exactly (but not quite) centered over a dentil. fakes are almost always centered over a gap between dentils, because the transfer die was made from a less expensive coin rather than a genuine 93-s.

18. Malleus Maleficarum

Someone purchased it. :jawdrop: $6000 for a fake. I hope the buyer figures it out and creates a stink.

19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Wow. How did you find the listing? Just curious, do you have the link or ebay number?

20. Malleus Maleficarum

In my search for Trade Dollars, I leave no stone unturned. So I went to Etsy to check it out. I found a seller of fakes, cheap Chinese fakes by the look of it. They also sell a lot of fake Morgan dollars. They have some key dates which can cost a lot of money. This fake was a 1893-S, it was selling for $5999.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/829637...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

I've been keeping an eye them, reported them a couple of times to Etsy, I even reported them to the feds. Sadly, nobody seems to care.

21. TypeCoin971793

I have raised the alarm to some contacts in the ACTF

Draft saved Draft deleted