Possible California Gold Rush Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ValpoBeginner, Oct 11, 2018.

1. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

If it is tested, then wear are the rub marks one has to use the stone with..huh huh huh

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It was an electronic tester, there would be no rubs from a stone.:yawn:

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think the test was that it cost $14.

Treashunt and Jaelus like this.
  5. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

The stone is a rectangular piece about 1/4 inch thich and then has acid that detects certain carats....

6. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

It definitely was fake.

7. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

I will not say something is fake until i test it....I dont know everything like most in here

8. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

If I'd never taken small risks like that one, I'd never end up with any of the great coins etc as windfall purchases. This is most likely because of the sellers incomplete knowledge of his wares.

That's why I LOVE going to Pawn Shops. There are so many "diamonds in the rough" out there just waiting to be discovered. Alot of times, the owner isn't an expert, or if he is, the guy behind the coin counter in the larger shops isn't. For this reason, I try focusing on retaining knowledge of a small subset of lesser known varieties that I like, that most buyers are likely to miss if they can't look at everything closely, an owners normal business pace seen in the busier pawn shops here across Greater Chicagoland along my daily commute.

It's almost like a safari adventure just driving home sometimes, BUT the girlfriend wishes that these shops weren't around, because I am much too often in the spot of having to apologize for being late for dinner at her place. Oh well, what can I do, I'm torn between two loves.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@ValpoBeginner If she loves you, she'll tolerate your hobby. Mine did and I married her. She still doesn't understand but she encourages me to collect coins, rocks and fossils.

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  10. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Hi Valpobeginner... Please read what i have to say slowly and carefully...No harm is meany but i am a collector like you are and have been in your situation...
    Dont worry about her or what she thinks...Hasn't she heard of a microwave??? Tell her that can be used for heating up cold meals when you arrive home. Maybe you can enlighten her on this discovery for the kitchen.

Secondly, you have the interest of collecting, i do assume you dont just limit yourself to one area as there must be other collectibles you never mentioned...Personally i do have some coins , rare banknotes and war medals but my true love in collecting is Hard Rock Cafe Pins and art animation ( such as Warner brothers , Hanna Barbera, Walter Lantz and Elzie Crisler Segar and Disney ) .... The banknotes and coins are just a way to fund my hobby as i dont always have enough cash. My kids are not interested like most kids these days so i simply buy and sell for a hobby....I am sure you don't like your wife getting pedicures, manicures and her hair done as that is a waste of money on your thinking as well..The polish wears away , nails grow back and the hair loses its style when washed, so in the long run it was a complete waste of money..... So maybe when she leans towards you with the thoughts of accepting your collecting, then you can lean to her and stop her going to get hair and nails done. You have made it clear she hates pawn shops so i dont think she will bend in your favor. ..... I know this from 1st hand as my 1st wife thought my stamps were just sticky pieces of paper and only good for placing on packages and letters but when i sold a couple of dozen of them as she wanted a new car, i told her that as she does not like my stamps she can find her own money for her car...I admit that was nasty but i had to teach her a lesson on respecting other peoples likes and dislikes.

YOU ARE NOT TORN BETWEEN THE 2....TELL HER TO GIVE UP HER LIKES AND YOU WILL GIVE UP YOURS - BUT IF YOU SEE HER COME HOME WITH STUFF THAT YOU DONT LIKE, THEN YOU CAN GO BACK TO THE PAWN SHOP AND BUY WHAT YOU LIKE , WHEN YOU LIKE AND IF YOU LIKE.

Also dont let her pick out the rugs, carpets, paint for walls, furniture etc etc etc as you have to like it as well. You know how we hubbys just agree to them to keep them happy? Sort of saying like yes dear , that wont be on anymore if she cant let you look in pawn shops....It is like how the old saying goes...What is good for the goose is good for the gander....

i think all collectibles are better than some women....THE COLLECTIBLES SIMPLY DONT ANSWER BACK , KEEP THEIR OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES AND APPRECIATE WITH AGE JUST LIKE GOOD WINE.

Notice i did not have to use any bad language and got my point across to you
    very clearly????

Lastly collecting nut , if you want to contact me in an IM, please feel free to do so...

I hope i have helped you here.

NOTE....THIS IS TOWARDS ALL COLLECTIBLES WHICH INCLUDES NUMISMATICS

Have a nice day...OIO

11. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Lol...I love it....

Draft saved Draft deleted