possible 89 cent with 88 reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

does this look like a 88 or 89 cent reverse ? the coin is a 89 coin. I thought if we have a 88 with a 89 reverse then there should be a 89 cent with a 88 reverse. I have been looking for one for nearly a year and may have found one but just not sure yet. the FG initals is away from the building a little farther than the usual 89 coin. would this mean anything. check out the photos and tell me your opinions. FG 1.jpg FG 2.jpg FG 3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

No opinion, my seeing eye dog won't tell me.

4. lillyboots

lillyboots Member

From the photos it looks like an 89 . Any lack of detail is probably from a worn die.

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

You may be right but to be on the safe side I will keep this one a bit longer to check it out better. I know a worn die can remove some details . mostly what I'm going by is the FG initals looks to be away from the memorial building a bit more than usual. If this is not a 89 cent with a 88 reverse it would still be something to watch for when roll searching.I will check it out better when I get a chance to do it. it would have been easy for a mint worker to accidentally use a 88 reverse die with a 89 obverse die. I'm not sure if anyone has found one yet or not.

6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

doggoneit I hope your seeing eye dog can see. may I recommend this......LOL

xlg_dog_glasses_0.jpg

7. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

8. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I just found one of these too. I put two loupes together and it looks like the 88 reverse, but when I put the loupes onto my camera and zoomed in I can see a very faint part of the G that goes to the left. Is serif the word I'm looking for?

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

yes I think serif is the work you were trying to think of. it may be impossible to get a 89 cent with a 88 reverse attributed even if it was the real thing. someone is always going to say it is just die wear or filled die. I googled this coin and others have also been finding coins that looks like mine and some folks say they may be the real thing and other are saying worn dies. only time will tell , some things takes a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted