Possible 2000P Cheerio Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dealtwith, May 22, 2018.

1. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

I recently came across the coin in a collection of mine when I sat down and googled each one.. $1.50 here $2.50 there untill the very last coin. When I googled it, I instantly read about the Cheerio. The coin I have has been circulated pretty heavy and hard to see the tail feather lines on the reverse with the naked eye.These were raised and easily worn down. I kept reading and came across a die flaw that was in a know Cherrio example. My coin is on the left of picture and a known Cheerio example on right. Any and all input greatly appreciated, Thank you

photostudio_1526972001451.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Where are the tail feathers?

The tail feathers identify it as a specific Cheerio dollar before they decided to eliminate the fine details of the tail feathers. The Cheerio boxes could have contained one or the other of the dollar. One with a fine detailed tail feathers, and others without the fine details.

Do you have the link that reviews the specific Die Flaw you are attributing to the highly detailed tail feathers Cheerio dollar ??

I have several that I have from Cheerio boxes but none have the fine details.

4. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

The lines in feathers are worn as this has been in circulation and I have no magnification at the moment (recent find, less than 12hours) I will look for site I screen shot the die flaw from.

5. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

Capture+_2018-05-22-13-35-04.png

6. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

My coin also has same black spot beside the P

7. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

8. Clawcoins

Those are Coops pictures; he's on CoinCommunity.com

use your cell phone and crop the images to show the tail feathers.

9. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

So you know him? Is that a legit flaw in Cherrio coins? I will take a pic but it is not visible to naked eye. Need to take iht somewhere. Just wanted opion on die flaw on front

10. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

11. Clawcoins

I think the value is in the tail feathers detail, not the die flaw.

The die flaw (and a previous theory of another die flaw up the shoulder) were possible methods of identifying it if you have a detailed tail feathers Cheerio dollar without taking it out of the package.

but we have some Cheerio experts here .. I think ...
    @ken454

that's about all I know. I don't collect these, just have a few from the Cheerio boxes from way back when ...

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. Clawcoins

way out of focus
    go to a well lit spot.
    and move the camera a bit further away from the coin to get it in focus.
    then crop the image.

an out of focus image does nothing to help.

13. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Sorry but no tail feathers showing due to circulation wear would make it worthless even if it has the markers you found.

Edit - You need clearer pictures than that

15. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

What if it can be seen under magnification?

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

here is how you can tell you have a Cheerios dollar... the center tail feathers detail on the left pic...

Cheerios-Sacagawea-Dollar.jpg

17. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

nope. sorry. I did get a cheerios cent.

19. Raven Horse

Raven Horse Member

Crap, don't have either then. Sure thought I did. Well in the long run it's good for ice cream, right

C-B-D likes this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You will notice that on the "Cheerios" dollar ALL of the tail feathers are detailed not just the center one. Bone of the feathers are detailed on the regular strike. Also the center rib on the central tail feather is RAISED on the Cheerios dollar and incuse on the regular strike.

Hunting Rare likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted