Possible 1981 proof error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mpan72, Mar 23, 2020.

1. mpan72

mpan72 New Member

I was checking a 1981 proof set to see if it was a type one or type two. It is a type one but when I checked the dollar I found the mint mark was not as it should be.

Is this a common error, has anyone seen it before? Could it be valuable? Should I get it certified and graded? I am new to coin collecting but have always been fascinated by the legends of error coins.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Can you post a full picture? The picture you showed is of the designers initials. The mint mark is above the collar on the left side on SBA’s.

mpan72 and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What mintmark? You are showing the designer's initials in your picture...

5. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I think you answered his question.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You need a better understanding of coins before you start looking for errors. ~ Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. bruthajoe

I love that brutal honesty.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Chris, I just wanted to let you kno that I've got nothin but love for you. I worry about the day I post a coin that isn't that I think it is. Looking forward to being eviscerated by you :)

paddyman98, bruthajoe and Danomite like this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The mint mark on the SBA is on the bottom center left between the hair and shoulder.
    1314-wc.jpg

10. bruthajoe

thin rim?

11. bruthajoe

narrow ? wide,,, I forget. lol

12. mpan72

mpan72 New Member

Thats why you ask questions. Thanks for the clarity on my duh miment.

bruthajoe, Danomite and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

I'm calling bull shirt . You can distinguish a proof type, but can't distinguish between mint
    mark and initials.

14. bruthajoe

Because its in proof set and it says it right on it.

15. cpm9ball

The day you mistake the designer's initials for a mintmark is the day you might want to consider cutting off your fur. :hilarious: ~ Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

Only applies to the 1979-P. ~ Chris

bruthajoe likes this.
  17. mpan72

mpan72 New Member

And you were born with this knowledge? I can tell the difference between 9mm Kurz and 380acp just by feel while I would wager some who have replied here have no idea which end of a gun to point away from themselves.

Like I said I am new to this and asked a simple question. If that deserves derision and snark ciil. I can play that game well. I usually do it in real life but hiding behind a keyboard (well actually a phone screen) works as well.

I want to learn so just let me know how this forum plays. I was told to be very polite here so I will do that if that is the norm. I can banter a bit but I do not like being called a liar.

rascal likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If you haven't bought one yet we recommend the RedBook
    just search "redbook coins" on amazon and there's a slew of different versions.

But any time you are interested in a particular coin you can learn a lot about it from that book. For instance, the Redbook identified the location of the Initials FG in the first paragraph, and the location of the Mint Mark in the 2nd paragraph.

upload_2020-3-24_8-6-36.png

mpan72 and Oldhoopster like this.
  19. mpan72

mpan72 New Member

I ordered one after my obvious newbieness shined so brightly.

20. bruthajoe

Got some tough cookies here, dead honest. Don't be insulted. I've personally been on the end of that stick quite a few times myself. I always appreciate the criticism and free knowledge from the vets though.

mpan72 likes this.
  21. mpan72

mpan72 New Member

Not a problem. I just did not know how people roll here.

bruthajoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted